"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-23-2007, 12:46 AM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 383
Coconut oil confusion

here i am... just searching the internet about coconut oil and for every article that says, "it'll kill you... it's horrible for your heart," i find another article that says, "the saturated fats are medium chain triglycerides and are actually a GREAT energy source."

and the debate goes on...

i don't doubt that coconut oil was vilified while other oils were promoted because of various reasons = $$$, but what is the deal?

anyone here using coconut oil, and if so, how do you use it... how do you like it?

__________________

__________________
black chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:48 AM   #2
Sous Chef
 
csalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 909
Sorry, I havn't got any coconut oil. I think you are spot on when you say these things are promoted or otherwise to suit the marketing tactics.

I did read somewhere that walnut oil is very good for you!
__________________

__________________
csalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:46 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef
here i am... just searching the internet about coconut oil and for every article that says, "it'll kill you... it's horrible for your heart," i find another article that says, "the saturated fats are medium chain triglycerides and are actually a GREAT energy source."...
BC:

Coconut oil can be both a less healthy oil and a great source of energy. They are not the same thing.

Coconut oil has the highest levels of saturated fats and the lowest levels of poly- and monounsaturated fats of the common oils. Saturated fats are considered the least healthful of the three.

All fats contain around 120 calories per tablespoon so are a source of energy. In general, all fats contain 2.25 times more energy (measured in calories) than proteins and carbohydrates.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
BC:

Coconut oil can be both a less healthy oil and a great source of energy. They are not the same thing.

Coconut oil has the highest levels of saturated fats and the lowest levels of poly- and monounsaturated fats of the common oils. Saturated fats are considered the least healthful of the three.

All fats contain around 120 calories per tablespoon so are a source of energy. In general, all fats contain 2.25 times more energy (measured in calories) than proteins and carbohydrates.
it is the gross statement that ALL saturated fat is bad for you... and now, you see coconut oil making a comeback as a healthy oil.

meanwhile, we americans are still suffering from heart disease, obesity, cholesterol, etc. even though we followed the high carb diets and vilified coconut oil and butter.

butter has some issues, but seriously, what doesn't taste good with an extra dab of butter attached?
__________________
black chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:35 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef
it is the gross statement that ALL saturated fat is bad for you... and now, you see coconut oil making a comeback as a healthy oil.

meanwhile, we americans are still suffering from heart disease, obesity, cholesterol, etc. even though we followed the high carb diets and vilified coconut oil and butter.

butter has some issues, but seriously, what doesn't taste good with an extra dab of butter attached?

Don't be mislead. Americans are suffering from heart disease, obesity, high cholesterol because they eat too much and don't exercise enough.

Because it's a gross statement doesn't mean it's not true. Saturated fats as a category are not as healthful as the other categories of fats.

What you may be seeing now is some disguised coconut oil industry websites trying to promote their oil as good for you.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:22 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Don't be mislead. Americans are suffering from heart disease, obesity, high cholesterol because they eat too much and don't exercise enough.

Because it's a gross statement doesn't mean it's not true. Saturated fats as a category are not as healthful as the other categories of fats.

What you may be seeing now is some disguised coconut oil industry websites trying to promote their oil as good for you.
"The campaign against coconut oil started four decades ago when researchers fed animals coconut oil that was altered to remove the essential fatty acids. For reasons that are unclear, the researchers destroyed the excellent coconut oil by heating it to a high temperature and pumping hydrogen into it thus changing it to a highly toxic trans fat.


In summary they ruined the coconut oil and then blamed the oil for the resulting negative health results. Go figure."


I'm currently trying to figure out if the above statement is true or false.

Edit: wasn't butter vilified as being high in saturated fat? well, it still is high and we all still use it a LOT. the FDA and powers that be, also told us that margarine was better to use only to now say that margarine contained trans fats... and now, trans fats are being yanked from the shelves IMMEDIATELY.

i guess i'm just saying that there's money behind all these studies, and you can't believe it just cause 'they' said it was so.
__________________
black chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 496
Personally, I like coconut oil. Next to olive oil, it's the oil that gets the most play in my kitchen.

I'm a firm believer that people tend to get too caught up in what's "good" for you and what's "bad" for you. Nobody knows, not even scientists. Something that is being touted as the greatest thing for your body ever was being called something that would kill you 20 years ago (and I'm not just talking about coconut oil).

Eggs were good for you, then they were really bad. Then they were good again. Now they kill you unless you buy them in a cardboard milk carton that contains "99% egg". Veggies used to be good for you--now unless your veggies are covered in manure and cost 3 times as much as their genetically enhanced counterparts they'll supposedly load your body with toxins that will kill you. Is wine good or bad? Well, if you don't like what it is, wait 5 years and scientists will reverse course. It's all one giant sham.

All things in moderation. If you like the way things taste using coconut oil...use coconut oil! The problem people have today is they want to blame their obesity and health problems on this type of fat or that type of cholesterol. They want to place the blame on the food for making them what they are, not themselves for not controlling themselves and their food intake. No personal responsibility. People trying to "optimize" their fats or carbs or whatever the buzzword of the month is so that they're only eating what are (for the moment) the most "healthful" types of carbs or fats are just limiting themselves for what is probably a minimal at best result
__________________
Poppinfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:30 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh
Personally, I like coconut oil. Next to olive oil, it's the oil that gets the most play in my kitchen.

I'm a firm believer that people tend to get too caught up in what's "good" for you and what's "bad" for you. Nobody knows, not even scientists. Something that is being touted as the greatest thing for your body ever was being called something that would kill you 20 years ago (and I'm not just talking about coconut oil).

Eggs were good for you, then they were really bad. Then they were good again. Now they kill you unless you buy them in a cardboard milk carton that contains "99% egg". Veggies used to be good for you--now unless your veggies are covered in manure and cost 3 times as much as their genetically enhanced counterparts they'll supposedly load your body with toxins that will kill you. Is wine good or bad? Well, if you don't like what it is, wait 5 years and scientists will reverse course. It's all one giant sham.

All things in moderation. If you like the way things taste using coconut oil...use coconut oil! The problem people have today is they want to blame their obesity and health problems on this type of fat or that type of cholesterol. They want to place the blame on the food for making them what they are, not themselves for not controlling themselves and their food intake. No personal responsibility. People trying to "optimize" their fats or carbs or whatever the buzzword of the month is so that they're only eating what are (for the moment) the most "healthful" types of carbs or fats are just limiting themselves for what is probably a minimal at best result
i find it funny that the same folks who vilified butter, eggs, and coconut oil GLORIFIED hydrogenated veggie oils for years... along with margarine, etc.

those same folks are now saying, "trans fats are bad for you." and it's THEIR products that are full of trans fats.

to all those who believed their vilification of coconut oil, how do you feel about using products full of Trans Fats... and their words now?
__________________
black chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:48 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,345
As science advances, we develop more accurate information about the foods we eat. Eggs were considered good for you, and at a certain level, that is true. As science delves deeper, more info comes to light and older info is modified. It will happen again.

We are in a difficult position with the internet available to all. It is so easy to promulgate false information and so hard to tell the good from the bad, we are bound to make incorrect decisions from time to time.

I have decided to only accept information as valid from sources I know and trust. That may mean I'm not on the cutting edge but I'm playing it safe.

In the final analysis, moderation is the best approach.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:22 AM   #10
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 383
the same is true for carbs, proteins, and fats...

back in the 80's, it was all about 70% carbs, 20% protein, and 10% fat... and america got obese and diabetic.

now, the gov't has backed down that high percentage of carbs. all the while, we were told to avoid butter & eggs. i went YEARS without butter and only ate egg whites only to consume LOTS of margarine. now, it's... "oops, margarine is full of trans fats-we're sorry."

i guess after we ALL get on meds for hypertension, diabetes, cholesterol, etc., they'll stop listening to the pharmaceutical lobbies etc.

what i'm going to do is keep things in moderation, and i'm going to use as much natural and organic foods as i can afford.
__________________

__________________
black chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.