Coconut Oil Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loprraine

Executive Chef
I hope I have this in the right spot, if, not, please move it If it has been discussed before, please point me in the right direction. .:cool:

I was looking at Alix's recipe for Granola, but don't have enough coconut or canola oil. I do, on the other hand, have a bottle of Coconut Oil. It's the first time I'm ever bought it, I've never cooked with it. And, I really should take the time to read up on it. I opened it, and it smells coconutty ( don't think that's a word). I have two questions:

-Can I sub some of the canola oil called for in the recipe with the coconut oil?
-Will cooking with the coconut oil impart any coconut flavor?

Thanks in advance.
Loprraine

Canola is listed as a substitute for coconut oil so I don't see why you couldn't go the other way, too. Coconut oil is high in saturated fat - if that is any consideration in your case.

Taste a drop of the coconut oil. That is the flavor it will impart.

hope this helps

Thank you for your response, Michael. I did not realize it was high in saturated fats. I googled the one I bought, and didn't come up with much. I'll google again for just the plain oil. The oil most defintely has a coconut taste, so , I guess I'll be a bit conservative.

Many viewed this post, but you were the only one who responded, so, I thank you very much. :cool:

If used as just an oil, it should be fine. Yes it will impart flavor and aroma. FYI you should store the leftover coco oil in the fridge, where it will get hard. Left outside it will go rancid quickly.

You could also massage sore muscles with it. it's used as medicine in Guam.

Hey Loprraine, increase the amount of oatmeal and eliminate the coconut in that recipe. Then I would go with 1/2 the amount of oil as coconut oil. What other oil do you have? Olive oil would work, really any other fat would work. You could even melt some margarine or butter if you want. I think the coconut oil would be a good idea myself.

Thanks for all the advice. Alix, I have every oil imaginable, just not canola. It's in the oven for the first toasting, I subbed half coconut for canola. It's smelling really good.

GD, thanks for the info on refrigerating it, I hadn't thought of that. It was already really thick to start out .

Modern studies have shown that coconut oil, while admittedly a saturated oil, has been used for thousands of years in tropical countries without ill effect. In fact, the civilizations that used this oil liberally have few of the illnesses suffered by our Western Civilization. Just my dos centavos. :)

Thank you for your dos centavos. :) I am a bit concerned that it is a saturated oil, but I'm trying it anyway. I'm a firm believer in all things in moderation. ( well, other than pork :LOL:)

If you search Mercola.com, you'll see a number of articles detailing the near-miraculous benefits of coconut oil, supported by numerous research studies. I am not a proponent. I am just saying one needs to keep an open mind on this controversy. :)

Back
Top Bottom