"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-22-2006, 01:59 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
At 6AM I don't care whether its Folgers, Starbucks or home roasted...all I care about is getting into me. Intravenously if necessary. And trust me...everyone else in my house is as interested in that as I am!

Kelly, roasting your own sounds like an interesting procedure, but I have to admit, I simply don't have the time for something like that. I would rather just buy myself smaller amounts of good stuff so it doesn't degrade too quickly.
Well, by the same token, a box of macaroni and cheese is pretty good, too.

Old 06-22-2006, 03:47 PM   #12
Everymom

Yep, I love a good box of KD. Many people don't, but to each his own. I love to hear about what people are trying and liking. Some of it I would love to try out, but need to find the time.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:07 PM   #13
Head Chef

Answer to Alix

I really enjoy talking to other roasters, but to be honest, so far, the post I related to best was Alix's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
At 6AM I don't care whether its Folgers, Starbucks or home roasted...all I care about is getting into me. Intravenously if necessary. And trust me...everyone else in my house is as interested in that as I am!

Kelly, roasting your own sounds like an interesting procedure, but I have to admit, I simply don't have the time for something like that. I would rather just buy myself smaller amounts of good stuff so it doesn't degrade too quickly.
When I first started thinking about home roasting my attitude was that I wanted better coffee, not a new hobby. I was willing to add no more than a 10 or 15 minute once per week task, that I could schedule at my convenience in order to achieve it. My interest and proficiency have improved but the time I'm willing and able to devote to it hasn't changed. I also refuse to complicate the process of brewing that first precious morning cup. Before the home roast I was already grinding store bought whole roasted beans as needed so, for me there was absolutely no additional early prep time. Home roasted or store bought, grinding on demand might add 10 or 15 seconds per pot over pre-ground, but that's a very small price that IMHO is definitely worthwhile.

There are a couple points that Kelly makes, about which I have a different opinion. The first and most important is the idea that you have to roast every day. In all honesty, I'd never seen that until I read it in his post today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM
Coffee beans are best if used 24 hours after they are roasted. No more, no less.

Until today, the narrowest roasted whole bean freshness window I'd heard of was six days. I admit I stretch that to seven because I'm not too good at six day recurring schedules. If I had to roast every day to get much improved coffee, I wouldn't roast.

Another point of difference between us is this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM
it still sounds like a lot of work to me. For the rest of the folks out there who are not willing to put quite as much time and effort into really good coffee...

Good grief Kelly, It's nine minutes once a week!

One more suggestion regarding Alix's concern. If you consider roasting on a once per week basis and decide to purchase a roaster, look for one that will handle enough beans to last you a week in one, or at least the fewest possible, roast cycle(s).

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:27 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Skillet, I don't drink coffee anymore, but appreciate your expertise/knowledge and sharing/posting with us here. Good read. Thank you. Again, baffled by the original post/query, are you asking for a recipe, then saying it's too much work, & comparing the short method to mac n cheese! Are you asking a question or posting a recipe?
Old 06-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Skillet, I don't drink coffee anymore, but appreciate your expertise/knowledge and sharing/posting with us here. Good read. Thank you.
mish,
I appreciate your kind words. I claim no expertise. As to Kelly's method. It is more common in roasting circles than mine.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote