Coleslaw dressing using Greek Yogurt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I had some brussel sprouts in the fridge and was too lazy (and too cheap with McGuinty's higher hydro rates) to cook them. So I decided to make a coleslaw. I shredded about 1/2 # of sprouts, grated a large carrot, added about 1 tsp celery seed, a 'grind' of salt, three grinds of pepper to that and let it sit for about 20 minutes. In the meantime, I made the dressing using Greek yogurt (about 1/2 c), 2 scant T mayo, 1 tsp dried tarragon, splash of white balsamic vinegar, and about 2 tsp of maple syrup (two splashes). It was nice. I have some dressing left for my tossed salad tonight. I'd never used greek yogurt (or maple syrup or tarragon) in my coleslaw dressing before, the tanginess of the greek yogurt combined with the sweetness of the maple syrup and the licorice of the tarragon was different--but very nice.

I was making a coleslaw dressing yesterday and when I saw how little sour cream I had, I was prepared to use yogurt to make up the difference but I was concerned it may not be any good. I didn't have to because the sour cream measured out to be enough but it's good to know there is an alternative.

Greek yogurt is fast becoming my substitute for sour cream in lots of things...

Re: the dressing--I don't measure, I do by taste so the measurements are my best guess....

Last edited:
I use Greek yogurt nearly exclusively over sour cream. It has a slightly more pronounced "tang", and I like that it's thicker than sour cream. I even use it on my baked potatoes.

Sounds like an interesting recipe, CWS. Thanks for sharing.

:LOL: Actually the thought of brussel sprout cole slaw sends me into shudders.:w00t2: I hate the little buggars.

But, have you ever had them raw? (Neither have I :LOL:)

I detest cabbage that has been cooked more than a few minutes, but I love it raw. A lot of the brassicas taste better raw.

I wouldn't claim to be a fan of brussel sprouts--we grow them, I eat them. But, ever since one got caught in my throat when I was in university and oh-painful--burnt like heck, could hardly cough it up, not to mention the antibiotics, etc., they are not my first choice when it comes to veggies, but "petit chou" raw taste like "mild" cabbage and are nice in coleslaw. Go figure. Besides, I didn't want to cook <g>.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom