"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Commercial cooking.

Just curious, but as you guys know I'm new here, I was wondering everyone's experience in the kitchen. Be it commercial cooking, a foodie, or just dabbling with " the joy" cookbook.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've cooked in private kitchens as a caterer, in a bakery and restaurant kitchens and even a stint in the kitchens of a University cafeteria. I am currently a home cook, ever since I got my Nursing degree.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
I've cooked in private kitchens as a caterer, in a bakery and restaurant kitchens and even a stint in the kitchens of a University cafeteria. I am currently a home cook, ever since I got my Nursing degree.
I LOVE baking. What style bakery? Breads, desserts, pre-ordered?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmhughes89 View Post
I LOVE baking. What style bakery? Breads, desserts, pre-ordered?
I've worked in a scratch grocery bakery and a Mom & Pop bakery. Usually working the front end, but I married the baker...

We did everything...I do not decorate cakes. All thumbs.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I love decorating. That's one of the things that attracted me to cooking. I was going to school for architecture but my passion lied with cooking. The creation of food and the style and techniques intrigues and fascinates me.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I enjoy the prep and cooking, I'll let someone else make it pretty. Even as a caterer, I told my clients to expect home cooked meals and they would look like home cooked meals.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Head Chef

Pretty serious kitchen commando. When there's something I want to explore, I usually read up and study the natures of the ingredients and the physics of the method. For example, I spent a fair amount of time studying the physical nature of potatoes and how their cells were affected by heat, to work up to the best cooking sequence to produce the best mashed potatoes. But maybe my most satisfying challenges are seeing what I can create out of what odds and ends happen to be in a pantry. Strictly for family and friends. I don't think I would enjoy real-time commercial kitchen work, but I don't mind five hours of work on a dish.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
Certified Cake Maniac

I have cooked in a University cafeteria/private dining room kitchen, a diner (no drive-ins or dives ), several restaurants and a summer camp cooking for special diets (average 30 people with different needs per day). I was also a technical writer and web developer. After 10 years owning a web business we sold it and at 46 I went to culinary school. I then apprenticed in a catering company and opened my own.

But my arthritis made me give it up and I went back to my favourite passion, baking and decorating cakes. I had done it since I was about 12 and am pretty well self taught. I am also teaching some young people the trade which is almost better than doing it myself.

As for the baking part, I have always had a knack for it, tweeking recipes, combining flavours. I learned so much at school even though I didn't end up taking the pastry course. Instead I hung out in the pastry kitchen any spare moment I had, watching, listening and going home to practice!

But I am really happy just cooking for my dh and I and that keeps me busy because besides celiac he has several food intolerances such as egg, soy and dairy!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I have never cooked professionally/commercially but I usually have the TV on in the kitchen while I'm cooking and continue to cook right through the commercials. Does that count?
Old 07-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yes, it does.

I worked at a fast food place in high school, and was a bartender at several restaurants in college and grad school. Didn't really start cooking till I got married. I did learn a lot from my grandma and great aunt.