"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Doc, you didn't specify of your soup was a cream soup or not. I think that may have been assumed. Follow can directions as to which liquid is used. The temperature of the liquid you add is unimportant to the finished product.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Kidney Stones
I suppose if I had a history of kidney stones, then I would worry. But for myself...I rarely make canned soup so personally wouldn't worry about it. The minute amount of anything coming out of the water heater won't have an effect for me. Certainly if anyone has an issue with that type of thing then don't use warm/hot water.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Doc, you didn't specify of your soup was a cream soup or not. I think that may have been assumed. Follow can directions as to which liquid is used. The temperature of the liquid you add is unimportant to the finished product.
The soup said 'Add Water'
Old 01-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I know it was assumed by me. I haven't boughten a condensed soup that wasn't a "Cream of..." in a while.
My vote is for whatever temperature the water comes out of the tap.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
Traveling Welcome Wagon

There is a thread about the hot/cold water controversy somewhere here at DC. What it boils down to is that if you have a newer house with newer pipes, you don't really need to worry about using hot tap water, but if you have an older house it might be better to use cold. As a site I was at yesterday said, it is probably good practice to use cold anyway just in case. It doesn't take that much longer for the soup to come to a boil anyway. Of course in this case, since it is from a dispenser, it doesn't matter.

Barbara
Old 01-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've always used regular tap water, tepid, I guess. The trick is to stir it in slowly or deal with lumps.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:21 PM   #17
Master Chef

I don't think it makes much of a difference in this application, but generally adding cold water when making a slurry gets a smoother result. I don't think it makes any difference when reconstituting soups like this, but when making a flour or cornstarch slurry, cold is definitely the answer.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:30 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtodddds View Post
As I am making my daughter a can of condensed soup, my wife claims that you have to add COLD water and not HOT water to it, and then heat it up on the stove. Is this correct and if so why? If this is a legitimate thing, can you reference literature on this? Crazy question but I appreciate your response.
Stick around here, and you won't need to open a can of condensed soup.

Seriously, welcome to Discuss Cooking.......this place can open a whole new world free of most cans, and a whole lot better tasting.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtodddds View Post
As I am making my daughter a can of condensed soup, my wife claims that you have to add COLD water and not HOT water to it, and then heat it up on the stove. Is this correct and if so why? If this is a legitimate thing, can you reference literature on this? Crazy question but I appreciate your response.
I do half milk and half water for my cream soups, but just water for stock soups. i sometimes add milk to tomato soup and get a nice rich soup. I always do cold water, don't have a reason - just do.