"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
What about tabasco?
Tabasco is perfectly safe outside. After all, it's just vinegar and peppers. But once opened, it will change color and get darker after a while. No change in flavor, but it's not very appetizing compared to the fresh color. Huy Fong Sriracha Chilli Sauce (the one with the rooster - very useful for putting off those who order just a spring roll and then want to filch off your pad Thai) is the same, except that, even with preservatives, as well as vinegar and salt, it darkens more rapidly, even when it doesn't get much chance to hang around long. I'd refrigerate that one, if you don't use it nearly every day.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
Tabasco is perfectly safe outside. After all, it's just vinegar and peppers. But once opened, it will change color and get darker after a while. No change in flavor, but it's not very appetizing compared to the fresh color. Huy Fong Sriracha Chilli Sauce (the one with the rooster - very useful for putting off those who order just a spring roll and then want to filch off your pad Thai) is the same, except that, even with preservatives, as well as vinegar and salt, it darkens more rapidly, even when it doesn't get much chance to hang around long. I'd refrigerate that one, if you don't use it nearly every day.

Very true. My sriracha at work sits out and it got very dark. Home bottle stays cold.

I keep my hot sauces in the fridge only because of color and oils and grains only to keep them fresh longer.

There are lots of things that don't have to be in the fridge that are better if kept there.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
the sesame oil is out, the fish oil is in.

For sesame, unless you use it frequently (like we do) it might be better in. Keeps it fresher.

If it's fish oil, then in. Same thing. If it's fish sauce, then IMO you can def keep it out. I love the stuff and keep 3 varieties in big bottles out on the counter in my overflowing condiment corner. I can taste the difference between manufacturers, so I think I could taste it if they went "off" and I havent sensed that. Same for soy sauce.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Okay--opened sesame oil is back in!
Old 12-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
There are lots of things that don't have to be in the fridge that are better if kept there.
Well said! Exactly so!
Old 12-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Well said! Exactly so!
Then why are fridges so SMALL????
Old 12-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Get the fish sauce out of there asap! That stuff is meant to be stored at room temperature. It'll form crystals and stuff in the 'frige
Old 12-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
That's what I do also, Andy. As paranoid as food manufacurers are about making anyone sick, I figure they will tell me if it needs refridgeration. I just read the label...

You would think so. Check out this old thread on the topic of ketchup's being left in or out...

Heinz Ketchup

PS, The Heinz ketchup bottle in my fridge says, for best taste refrigerate after opening. It also says for best taste use before 11/28/2011!
Old 12-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
If it's fish sauce, then IMO you can def keep it out. I love the stuff and keep 3 varieties in big bottles out on the counter in my overflowing condiment corner. I can taste the difference between manufacturers, so I think I could taste it if they went "off" and I havent sensed that.
Fish sauce might fall into the class of stuff that can't really go bad, because it's born bad.

Today's Asian fish sauce is a relative of the ancient Roman garum, the most popular necessity of Roman cuisine. Gaze upon the making of it and dispair.... Bwa-ha-ha!

Recipe for Garum or liquamen, the Roman fish sauce
Old 12-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You would think so. Check out this old thread on the topic of ketchup's being left in or out...

Heinz Ketchup

PS, The Heinz ketchup bottle in my fridge says, for best taste refrigerate after opening. It also says for best taste use before 11/28/2011!

I just used mustard that expired in 2008. Didnt see the date until after ....