"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 12-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #51
Master Chef
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
I make a judgment as to whether the advisory is for safety or to preserve color or such. If I don't think it's a safety issue, and I'll use it before it suffers cosmetically or tastewise, it can stay out. Of course, you always want to think about the actual conditions outside the refrigerator. In a hot environment, a lot more things would do much better kept cold. Manufacturers naturally want their products to be well thought of, and a lot of them are just going to look better when kept in he cold and dark.

I agree

Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #52
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I can't find a "best before" date on my ketchup.
Some products may not even have any manufactured or use-by date, or the manufacture date may be coded. I'm uncomfortable not knowing anything about something that's been stored for who knows how long?

My solution: I use a permanent marker and put my own date on every bottled and packaged product I buy, particularly condiments. I use a 4 digit system, date then year. For example it's December 2011 so anything I buy this month is 1211. Next month I'll be using 0112.

This may seem a bit obsessive but it's so simple to do, and then when you find some condiment in your fridge that's been hiding in the back at least you'll know how long it has been there. I've found stuff 4-5 years old (and older) and at some point I think it's best to toss something really old and get a new one. Or maybe if you use it that seldom maybe you might decide to just not buy any more. Each can be their own judge, but with your own number at least you have some information beyond odor and appearance.

One additional benefit, you can adopt a first-in-first out (FIFO) system. For example if you have several cans of tomato sauce in your pantry you can use the oldest one instead of using a newer one and having one in the back that's been there gathering dust for years.

Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote