Condiments--refrigeration or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What about tabasco?

Tabasco is perfectly safe outside. After all, it's just vinegar and peppers. But once opened, it will change color and get darker after a while. No change in flavor, but it's not very appetizing compared to the fresh color. Huy Fong Sriracha Chilli Sauce (the one with the rooster - very useful for putting off those who order just a spring roll and then want to filch off your pad Thai) is the same, except that, even with preservatives, as well as vinegar and salt, it darkens more rapidly, even when it doesn't get much chance to hang around long. I'd refrigerate that one, if you don't use it nearly every day.

Tabasco is perfectly safe outside. After all, it's just vinegar and peppers. But once opened, it will change color and get darker after a while. No change in flavor, but it's not very appetizing compared to the fresh color. Huy Fong Sriracha Chilli Sauce (the one with the rooster - very useful for putting off those who order just a spring roll and then want to filch off your pad Thai) is the same, except that, even with preservatives, as well as vinegar and salt, it darkens more rapidly, even when it doesn't get much chance to hang around long. I'd refrigerate that one, if you don't use it nearly every day.

Very true. My sriracha at work sits out and it got very dark. Home bottle stays cold.

I keep my hot sauces in the fridge only because of color and oils and grains only to keep them fresh longer.

There are lots of things that don't have to be in the fridge that are better if kept there.

the sesame oil is out, the fish oil is in.

For sesame, unless you use it frequently (like we do) it might be better in. Keeps it fresher.

If it's fish oil, then in. Same thing. If it's fish sauce, then IMO you can def keep it out. I love the stuff and keep 3 varieties in big bottles out on the counter in my overflowing condiment corner. I can taste the difference between manufacturers, so I think I could taste it if they went "off" and I havent sensed that. Same for soy sauce.

Get the fish sauce out of there asap! That stuff is meant to be stored at room temperature. It'll form crystals and stuff in the 'frige

That's what I do also, Andy. As paranoid as food manufacurers are about making anyone sick, I figure they will tell me if it needs refridgeration. I just read the label...

You would think so. Check out this old thread on the topic of ketchup's being left in or out...

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/heinz-ketchup-15178.html

PS, The Heinz ketchup bottle in my fridge says, for best taste refrigerate after opening. It also says for best taste use before 11/28/2011! :ohmy:

If it's fish sauce, then IMO you can def keep it out. I love the stuff and keep 3 varieties in big bottles out on the counter in my overflowing condiment corner. I can taste the difference between manufacturers, so I think I could taste it if they went "off" and I havent sensed that.

Fish sauce might fall into the class of stuff that can't really go bad, because it's born bad.

Today's Asian fish sauce is a relative of the ancient Roman garum, the most popular necessity of Roman cuisine. Gaze upon the making of it and dispair.... Bwa-ha-ha!

Recipe for Garum or liquamen, the Roman fish sauce

Besides my other reason, I like keeping some condiments in the fridge because I happen to like them cold. I like cold ketchup on a warm hamburger, or cold mustard on a hot dog. And I like cold butter on warm toast, too, even though it's harder to spread. I like eating it before it all melts.

I just checked, and my refrigerated Heinz expired 9/28/11!

I've used cupboard stored soy sauce that was close to 25 years old!
I did not go through as much soy sauce back then...
And that's why I keep it in the fridge now. Not because I have to, I obviously tested that out on myself, but because it makes me feel better to :D

Fish sauce might fall into the class of stuff that can't really go bad, because it's born bad.

Today's Asian fish sauce is a relative of the ancient Roman garum, the most popular necessity of Roman cuisine. Gaze upon the making of it and dispair.... Bwa-ha-ha!

Recipe for Garum or liquamen, the Roman fish sauce

Fish sauce is one of my favorite condiments. But the 'frige is not the place for it.

I'm just going to start getting an extra packet of ketchup when I hit the fast food places. Toss it in a drawer. The bottle I bought expired 4 months ago and it's almost full. Maybe I should buy smaller containers of things I'm not using regularly.

taxlady said:
I can't find a "best before" date on my ketchup.

Mine was stamped on the top. Huh. I use a lot of ketchup, I thought. Srirachi date is a bit harder to find, it's found on the bottle, and really hard to see.

(frantically inspecting condiments)

Mustard, toast. Horseradish, out of date. Dang.

I'm just going to start getting an extra packet of ketchup when I hit the fast food places. Toss it in a drawer. The bottle I bought expired 4 months ago and it's almost full. Maybe I should buy smaller containers of things I'm not using regularly.

I'm slowly moving toward not buying those things that I can use up in short order. Catsup is one of those. Everything needed is likely in the kitchen of every active cook. Especially for the simply version using tomato paste and powders. And no sugar in the make-as-needed. Mayo kind of goes without saying for any picky cook. Of course, some things are difficult or impossible. I won't be making soy sauce from scratch any time soon, and I could easily make my own liquid smoke but won't bother. But sweet chili Thai sauce is easy enough and can be modified for different emphasis for different dishes. Pad Thai sauce is easy, too, so long as you keep tamarind paste and fish sauce, but those are real basics that you need to make up many things. Pastes like anchovy and wasabi and such last next to forever in the refrigerator and take up almost no space, so I don't mind keeping them on hand any more than I mind keeping a well-stocked supply of durable spices. And having all those ingredients frees you from the choices of manufacturers of ready-mades, so you can craft something special to suit. It's just cooking.

Back
Top Bottom