"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-13-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Condiments--refrigeration or not?

Okay--my fridge is FULL. Here at the farm, I don't have 2 fridges. The fridge is FULL. A lot of the space is taken up by condiments. Which ones must be kept in the fridge after opening? I keep soy sauce, worch. sauce, ketchup (it hangs around for about 2-3 years), mustards, vinegars, thai sauce, fish sauce, peanut oil, maple syrup, horseradish, and other such things in the fridge. Are there any that I can safely move to the pantry?

Old 12-13-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm sure there are some more that can be kept unrefrigerated than the ones I keep out, but peanut oil and vinegar jump out to me. I treat peanut oil like any cooking oil and have never refrigerated it. Nor have I ever regrigerated my vinegars.
I know there are some people who don't refrigerate ketchup or mustard, but it takes me a looooong time to go through those, so I do. I don't have that much room in my cupboards, so it works out well for me to refrigerate some things. Salad dressings take up the majority of the space I would like to reclaim.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:12 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

What about Baker's chocolate? My mom always kept that in the fridge, is that necessary?
Old 12-13-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Condiments, pickles, pickled fish, and dairy products (cheese, sour cream, yogurt, buttermilk, whole milk, 2% milk) take up a lot of fridge space here. I also keep lard and margarine (for the dogs) in the fridge. I'm just trying to figure out if some of the stuff in the fridge doesn't need to be there...I put the peanut oil in after I used it for frying...the walnut, seasame seed, mustard, and almond oils have always lived in the fridge...at this time of year, I can put the oils in the summer kitchen, but not in the summer! I was told to keep the balsamic vinegar in the fridge--is that necessary? I also am limited on shelf space, but I can figure out something.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:22 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I do not believe the worcestershire sauce bottle label says 'refrigerate after opening'. Armour lard is supposed to be shelf stable.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:26 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I also keep my jars of quinoa in the fridge. They probably could go in the freezer? I keep nuts in the freezer so they don't get rancid, especially walnuts.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I also keep my jars of quinoa in the fridge. They probably could go in the freezer? I keep nuts in the freezer so they don't get rancid, especially walnuts.
Sounds like you could use a Foodsaver type vacuum packager.

PS - I think stable should be stabile but wordcheck does not
Old 12-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Soy Sauce, I have never kept that in the fridge. I think you could put all of it e\xcept the horeseradish in the summer kitchen if it is cool there. Milk was on sale the other day, I put a gallon in the freezer. You could also set some things outside in a box.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
Head Chef

I am not much help, C-dub, cuz I keep all that stuff in the fridge, with the exception of vinegar. I keep condiments in the fridge to keep them corralled--they get lost in the cupboards.

The soy and fish sauce can definitely go in the cupboard, and so can the chocolate. I keep grains and nuts in the freezer.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
Master Chef

Soy sauce, fish sauce, ponzu, vinegar live outside the fridge. Plus I have so many in such big bottles they'd never fit. My worcestershire, gazzillion hot sauces live in the fridge, though they probably don't need to. Hot sauces darken if left out, though.

Olive oil and sesame oil out, as they are used frequently. 100% peanut oil in the fridge as I find it goes rancid faster than other oils. Canola oil in fridge since I hardly ever use it.

Mustard and ketchup in fridge. Real maple syrup in fridge - it grows mold. Prepared horseradish is sold cold so I keep in fridge. Wasabi, anchovies, sambals, curry pastes, hoisin, porcini mushrooms, kecap manis, HP sauce and other stuff of the like I keep in the fridge after they are opened.