Confit of Pork Shoulder Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timmo

Assistant Cook
Yesterday I tried a new recipe and technique, I tried to confit a whole shoulder of pork, I used this particular recipe:

Roasted confit pork shoulder: Recipes: Good Food Channel

I cooked it for around 4 hours and then let it rest for 30 then cut into portions to serve. The problem is the meat did not turn out tender at all, I was expecting the meat to be almost at a pulling stage and this wasn't the case, it was still quite tasty, but not my desired outcome.

I'm wondering if the problem could be that my oven was up to high? Or perhaps it was too low, or perhaps the recipe is bad and it plain needed longer. I've just moved into a new student house and the oven is terrible, standard electric (not fan assisted).

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Tim

Welcome timmo....While I have no experience in the exact methodology....I'm thinking the meat was not cooked long enough...A good rule of thumb is to cook pork shoulder/butts for 1 1/2 hours per pound around the 250* mark. This usually will produce meat that is very pullable. Look for an internal temperature, in the thickest portion, of 195*-200* HTH

Welcome timmo....While I have no experience in the exact methodology....I'm thinking the meat was not cooked long enough...A good rule of thumb is to cook pork shoulder/butts for 1 1/2 hours per pound around the 250* mark. This usually will produce meat that is very pullable. Look for an internal temperature, in the thickest portion, of 195*-200* HTH
Thanks Uncle Bob, I thought this might be the case. Might just try it in the slow cooker all day with a nice slug of chicken stock, much less hassle I feel.

Back
Top Bottom