"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

TL, I didn't say that all preservatives are benign - just that they're not all bad and they do serve a purpose.

CWS, I admire your self-sufficiency, but not everyone has the good health (including energy and stamina), cooking knowledge and skill, resources (large gardens, multiple freezers), and organization you do.

All things in moderation

Old 02-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
TL, I didn't say that all preservatives are benign - just that they're not all bad and they do serve a purpose.

CWS, I admire your self-sufficiency, but not everyone has the good health (including energy and stamina), cooking knowledge and skill, resources (large gardens, multiple freezers), and organization you do.

All things in moderation
It is a lifestyle choice. Freezers are not hard to come by and being organized is not difficult.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It is a lifestyle choice. Freezers are not hard to come by and being organized is not difficult.
I find that disabling, chronic diseases severely limit one's lifestyle choices.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #54
Sous Chef

One of the things I enjoy most about this board is that we have different levels of culinary skills. I learn equally as much from both. As a working person I appreciate a meal you can prepare with some shredded rotisserie chicken or a good quality jar of sauce. God Bless whoever decided that selling whole pre-baked chicken might be a good idea!

Also. I stood in line behind a young woman at the grocery store just the other day. She was buying a pre-made wheat pizza crust, had a jar of pre-made pesto, some shredded italian mix cheese, tomato's and a bag of spinach. She shared with the cashier that she was making dinner for her boyfriend for the first time. Okay, it was all "convenience" foods but I thought, you go girl. She's learning, developing her taste's and being creative in the kitchen. She seemed very excited about the project. Good for her. Use all the convenience foods you want to. Play. EXPLORE.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
One of the things I enjoy most about this board is that we have different levels of culinary skills. I learn equally as much from both. As a working person I appreciate a meal you can prepare with some shredded rotisserie chicken or a good quality jar of sauce. God Bless whoever decided that selling whole pre-baked chicken might be a good idea!

Also. I stood in line behind a young woman at the grocery store just the other day. She was buying a pre-made wheat pizza crust, had a jar of pre-made pesto, some shredded italian mix cheese, tomato's and a bag of spinach. She shared with the cashier that she was making dinner for her boyfriend for the first time. Okay, it was all "convenience" foods but I thought, you go girl. She's learning, developing her taste's and being creative in the kitchen. She seemed very excited about the project. Good for her. Use all the convenience foods you want to. Play. EXPLORE.
Well said, mmyap!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #56
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I make a pasta dish that will knock your socks off and you would think i spent all day in the kitchen preparing the sauce. Nope, it comes out of a jar. The company uses the exact same ingredients I would use, no preservatives, it's perfect and saves me a whole day. Darn right I'm going to use it, why should I break my back making something that tastes just as good as what I make? Took me years to find a brand that I liked and could trust and yes, I still check the label each time to make sure they haven't changed anything.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I make a pasta dish that will knock your socks off and you would think i spent all day in the kitchen preparing the sauce. Nope, it comes out of a jar. The company uses the exact same ingredients I would use, no preservatives, it's perfect and saves me a whole day. Darn right I'm going to use it, why should I break my back making something that tastes just as good as what I make? Took me years to find a brand that I liked and could trust and yes, I still check the label each time to make sure they haven't changed anything.
Not only is this a huge time saver, you don't end up with a gallon or more. I wouldn't have any place to keep that much.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Quote:
I love it when you find a timesaver like that ! Can you share what it is with us?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #59
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Bertolli Marinara. Only one I buy!

And yes, Z! I end up with enough for our dinner and ONE lunch for me. That is plenty as I don't have the space to store more.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
When I was raising my family, I had to pay for my utilities. The pressure cooker was my friend on many a day. It helped keep my gas bill down. Yankee Pot Roast, All day Italian Sunday Gravy, New England Boiled Dinner, etc, cut the cooking time in half. Not only did it help in controlling my utility bills, but when I went to work, I was still able to feed my family a full meal when I got home. But you can bet there were some nights when convenience foods came into play more and more. A package of Oreos helped keep the cookie jar filled for after school snacks. Weekend made meatballs went into a large jar of doctored pasta sauce to be heated up. What was left over made sandwiches for the next day's lunches. Most Saturday's I made my own Boston Baked Beans. Sometimes the kids got doctored up canned beans. The more convenience foods I used the lower my utility bills were. The one area I couldn't use convenience foods, were canned veggies. My kids would not eat them. So I resorted to frozen ones. Less waste, quicker cooking time, lower utility bills.

Convenience foods are not always a bad thing. Sure I can cook from scratch. But I now live alone. My eating habits are sporadic. Sometimes I just want something quick. A jar of sauce and some Angel Hair pasta fills the bill. I only need a couple of tablespoons of sauce. Not a whole five quart pan of it that has been cooking all day. And if I want to take a nap, I can without worrying about having to stir it every so often. I can nap for 20 minutes or a couple of hours without worry. I still cook from scratch. Tomorrow I will be making a large pan of mac and cheese for eating while we are watching DA. What doesn't get eaten, will go home with my kids. I don't need all those carbs hanging around the fridge.