"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #71
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
I didn't see any anger in the first comment in re: the instant roux. Just a straight forward comment about yet another "huh?" product.
totally, oldvine! puffin doesn't mince words, calls it the way he sees it--i love that about him, without the need to agree with all of his points...

Old 02-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #72
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post

Most people can train themselves to be organized, but it takes constant effort and attention. For others it's just the natural way of doing things.
I'm another one lacking in organization skills but I think it's a talent, not something you can acquire. Everyone can sing, but not everyone does it well even with practice. Just ask my husband.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #73
Cupcake

I'd love a freezer, but I do wonder whether items will get away from me. I'm a clumper and am not so great with inventory.

You would be surprised what people have found in the back of some pantry shelves.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, there are areas of my life that are not organized <g>. I am organized in the kitchen. I think my brain was trained a certain way because of all the languages I studied. I went from German to French to Latin to Spanish class or Italian class. I had to turn off German and turn on French. I never mixed up words or grammar. I have a compartmentalized brain. I label my cupboards so I know at a glance what is in them (I love my label maker - and it doesn't destroy the finish). Also, after living in the house for almost 20 years, I reorganized the kitchen and had to break the habit of looking for things in certain cupboards because I no longer keep a lot of the things in the same places that I used to keep them. And, I have an inventory written on the front of the freezers...otherwise, I wouldn't know what was in them. I do sometimes go to get something and pull out something else because it is closer to the top. And, I do know what people keep at the back of their pantries...I have to clean my parents' pantry (and their freezers) every time I go there. I am amazed at some of the stuff I find...especially since my mother no longer cooks and my father opens boxes/jars/cans to make everything.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a standard freezer at the top fridge and a stand alone cabinet for other foods. It is the freezer I have a problem with. Can't seem to remember to label meats when I break them down and rewrap them. Because my dry goods cabinet is only two items deep, I can always see what I have and need to replace. I try to have two of everything in there. When I use one, I add it to the grocery list for the coming month. I keep a grocery list on the computer and open it at least two or three times a week to add to. I try to shop the sales for meats for the freezer. And I do break them down to individual servings. Two per meal in one packet. I bought this time a very large chuck roast with a minimal of bone. Cut the bone out and ground up the rest for hamburg. The trimmings and bone went into the freezer for stock. Of course I forgot to label it. Had to pull it out and do that.

I also have a life long supply of Post It Notes. You will find them all over the place with items of food written on them. Every so often I will gather them up and bring the over to the computer.

If organized chaos is a system, I guess I am organized.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I'd love a freezer, but I do wonder whether items will get away from me. I'm a clumper and am not so great with inventory.

You would be surprised what people have found in the back of some pantry shelves.
when i was in the hospital this past fall, my wife took it upon herself to clean out my freezer (again, we have 2 kitchens in our tiny 2 family house, of which we live throughout. i get the downstairs kitchen. sort of like downton abbey, lol. just call me bucky patmore)

i was heartbroken at first to see all of those beautiful lamb and beef bones, chicken carcasses and parts, and containers of leftovers like soups and sauces, and freezer bags full of tomatoes and peppers from previous years' gardens had gone.

but then it occurred to me that the key was in that last sentence, previous years. she said that everything was freezer burned, so she chucked it. i tried to argue that an empty freezer uses more energy, but to no avail.

i guess it's for the best. i probably would have done the same, bit by bit over time. now i get to refill an empty freezer and this time learn to try to stay organized.

and i'm learning to pick my battles.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
when i was in the hospital this past fall, my wife took it upon herself to clean out my freezer (again, we have 2 kitchens in our tiny 2 family house, of which we live throughout. i get the downstairs kitchen. sort of like downton abbey, lol. just call me bucky patmore)

i was heartbroken at first to see all of those beautiful lamb and beef bones, chicken carcasses and parts, and containers of leftovers like soups and sauces, and freezer bags full of tomatoes and peppers from previous years' gardens had gone.

but then it occurred to me that the key was in that last sentence, previous years. she said that everything was freezer burned, so she chucked it. i tried to argue that an empty freezer uses more energy, but to no avail.

i guess it's for the best. i probably would have done the same, bit by bit over time. now i get to refill an empty freezer and this time learn to try to stay organized.

and i'm learning to pick my battles.
In 2008, I cleaned my parents' pantry and freezers for the first time since they had moved (about 13 years). I threw out so much stuff from the freezer--freezer burned, way out of date (1996!). It broke my heart to haul so much frozen stuff to the dump (and canned goods). I tried to institute a system of keeping track of what is put in the freezers and pantry (this cupboard is about 3 ft deep) to no avail. Now when I go there, I put the year on every can. I know there are codes on the cans, but this is an easier way for them to realize that one can of soup has been there longer than any new stuff they've added. The problem is my dad buys stuff when it is on special so he has stockpiles of what he considers staples--mandarin oranges (27 cans), cream of mushroom soup (17 cans), I think you get the picture. A freezer is a wonderful thing to have. I tend to eat out of the freezer during the winter months so that I'll have room for the stuff from the garden come August. One thing that I find helpful as the freezer empties is to put 2l-4l containers with water (preferably containers with lids) to take up the empty space as I'm emptying the freezer. This helps reduce the energy used to keep the other stuff frozen. I also move stuff out of a smaller freezer into a larger freezer so I can unplug it when it is empty. I keep the stuff I use more often in the freezer compartment of the fridge (ginger, frozen mushrooms, peppers, lemon/lime juice, etc.) and the bigger stuff in the larger freezers.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks for the tip about the 2 and 4l containers of water, cws. when i need the freezer space, i'll just move one down to the fridge which will help keep that a bit cooler as it melts. great idea.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have a standard freezer at the top fridge and a stand alone cabinet for other foods. It is the freezer I have a problem with. Can't seem to remember to label meats when I break them down and rewrap them. Because my dry goods cabinet is only two items deep, I can always see what I have and need to replace. I try to have two of everything in there. When I use one, I add it to the grocery list for the coming month. I keep a grocery list on the computer and open it at least two or three times a week to add to. I try to shop the sales for meats for the freezer. And I do break them down to individual servings. Two per meal in one packet. I bought this time a very large chuck roast with a minimal of bone. Cut the bone out and ground up the rest for hamburg. The trimmings and bone went into the freezer for stock. Of course I forgot to label it. Had to pull it out and do that.

I also have a life long supply of Post It Notes. You will find them all over the place with items of food written on them. Every so often I will gather them up and bring the over to the computer.

If organized chaos is a system, I guess I am organized.
I think that's organized. It eventually gets on the grocery list, and that's the aim.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote