Conversion Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psiguyy

Sous Chef
Hi! New member refugee from the Food Network. Thought I'd post a tip that I discovered a few days ago.

If you go to Google, you can get all your conversions and it's even a calculator.

Try it.

Enter the following in Google. "How many ounces in a quart"

Or even this! "How many tablespoons in a gallon"

Click on link http://www.google.com/help/features.html#calculator for an explanation.

Hope somebody finds this useful and handy.

Cool! Thanks Psiguyy! If it wern't for calculators, I wouldn't even do math! I can deal with the basics, but I only passed my math classes in school by the skin of my teeth! Thanks again. :D

All these mechanical and electronic aids are going to be a downfall to all of us.

I had decent handwriting, but recently realized my handwriting has turned horrible and I can't write as fast as I could when I was in school. On the other hand, my typing and accuracy has gone up.

I also could do a lot of math in my head. Figuring out percentages in my head used to be easy. These days, I can barely figure out what 15% of my restaurant bill is.

take 10 % of the sub-total (before tax), meanimg just move the decimal 2 places, then add 1/2 of that figure to it. that's how i've always done it.

I have bookmarked a website that will convert anything metric to anything else. I find it really helpful in calculating the caliber of a bullet I've found from a metric micrometer.

When I was in school, for three months, I had daily assignments in converting recipes up and down. I can do that kind of thing in my sleep now. My instructor originally told us that we wouldn't have to do any metric problems, but sure enough, a few of them were metric. I actually prefer working in metric, as it's easier.

I've also written a couple basic javascript calculators that convert Farenheit from/to Celcius, Ounces to/from Grams, Milliliters to/from teaspoons, and Pounds to/from Kilograms. I have them saved on a webpage that I wrote, which is currently stored on my computer's HDD. If I come across a recipe that needs converting to/from metric, I can do it on my pc. Of course, if power goes out, my out of luck.

Back
Top Bottom