Converting Cake Pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nes

Assistant Cook
I need to get started on DHs birthday cake :chef:.

I've got a great recipe that requires 2 9" cake pans, however I only have a 3-tier layer set with a 10", 8" and 7".

Can I use a 10 and 8" (since that adds up to 18" too? :LOL:)

What baking adjustments should I make?

Thanks!

You can definitely make the recipe as it is and use the 10 and the 8 as long as you adjust the cooking temp and watch carefully. Personally, I would bake them separately, but that's just me. You can then either use them as a tiered cake or you can use the 8 inch pan as a guide after you cool the 10 inch cake and cut around the pan to have a perfectly round cake.

Cooking time for the smaller will be less while cooking time for the larger will be more, that's why I'd cook them separately. Try pouring the batter to equal levels in the pans so your layers will be of equal height. They will be thinner than normal cake layers.

Personally, for the cost, I'd probably go buy the 2 nine inch, but that's just me. I like having the variety.

:kiss: thank you!

I will eventually get a couple 9" pans - of course I have to do things last minute, his party is tonight and I gotta get started right now :D

The other thing you can do is to use the 8 or the 10, put all the batter in at once and then cut it into two layers. The 8 will give you slightly thicker layers and the 10 will be slightly thinner. you will have to increase your baking time for both and I would decrease your temperature by 25 degrees and watch it. But this gives you a nice uniform cake.

Another option would be to use 8" square pans if you enough of them. A 9" round pan has approximately the same area as an 8" square pan (63.7 square inches vs. 64 square inches).

thanks guys - the cake looks delicious!

I ended up going with a 10" and 8" cake pan - and yes, the finished about 5 minutes apart from each other. I think next time if I do that I will cut the 10" after baking to the same size as the 8" - I didn't, and now wish I had. I'll get a picture once the candles go on it ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom