Converting Grams To Millilitres?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chef_william

Assistant Cook
On my3rd day at college yesterday we were making fresh braed and puff pastry.. my lecturer told us to weight out 126 grams of water...

This led me to confusion as id never heard of liquid being weighed in grams before, so i had to physically weight the water, using VERY old fashioned scales, and then transfer it to the mixing bowl.

Now what i want to know is - is there a conversion between grams and millilitres? If there is it would make life much easier as i could do the maths & then just measure it out in a jug - much much easier!

Any help would be great! Thanks, will.

you have to respect that it`s like comparing apples and oranges too.

Grams is a unit of weight (Mass).
ml`s or Cm^3 is a unit of Volume.

it so happens that as stated above Water is taken as the benchmark, and 1000ml (1000Cm^3) has the mass of 1Kg (1000g) at standard Room Temp (298K) and pressure (101Kpa).

things like "Fluid Onces" don`t really exist in SI units.

Factoid: still using Water as the Benchmark, that`s where we get out Temperatures from also, a linear scale between the Melting point of water 0c and the Boiling point 100c.

Last edited:
The link that amber posted pretty much explains the difficulty of this conversion.

It will be different for every liquid you are measuring. Water weighs less than mercury or wet concrete.

or indeed Mercury! for that shiny slippery texture :)
and it never fails to Rise when the temp increases! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

edited to add: the above is a joke/play on words, do NOT ever use mercury in foofstuffs, it`s really quite unhealthy!

Last edited:
Please don't assume that one ml of anything at all weighs one gram. That conversion, as has been pointed out, is only good for water.

If you want to convert from volume to grams you need to know the density, and to go the other way around, grams to volume the specific gravity (just the inverse of the density).

You can find charts that tell you how much a given volume of flour or sugar weighs, but you have to be careful. Caster sugar does not have the same density as regular good old granulated sugar. Those conversions are meant only as general guides and should not be taken as anything close to exact.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I only needed this conversion in the context of water, so im sorted! Cheers!

In reality water (and milk) is the same in grams andMilliliters. 1 liter of water weighs 1 kilogram. However it is not true fro all the liquids. It all depends on body mass.

Last edited:
chef william, there is a reason WHY your instructor had you weigh it out.

It's all about accuracy. Ask five different people to measure out a cup of water (or flour, rice, etc.). Now, weigh these five different "cups" of water. Odds are, they will all weigh slightly different, as people measure volume different. But, a pound is a pound (or gram is a gram). Baking is all about accuracy. I've heard numerous times, that "cooking is an art, baking is a science." Baking formulations don't deviate much, to keep consistent. Not to mention if you start fiddling with a formulation without knowing what you're doing, it probably won't turn out. The only real way to have different people measure out a set amount of whatever, and get the same amount, each and every time, is to weigh it out.

Hm-m-m-m-m .. dry weights measured with liquid measurements??

CRISPY CORNMEAL COOKIES
1 quart of cornmeal
2 quarts flour
1 1/3 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/3 tablespoon nutmeg
3 cups raisins
1 quart butter or margarine
quarts sugar
8 large eggs
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons lemon rind, grated
Grind raisins. Blend dry ingredients and raisins. Cream fat and sugar and add eggs and beat well. Blend in lemon juice and rind. Add dry ingredients and raisin mix. Put on cookie sheet. Bake at 400° for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from pan while hot. Makes 100.

Now that's odd. It looks like someone took a home-sized recipe and scaled it up for commercial production.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom