Cook by book or seat of pants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you follow the directions or wing it?

• I follow the recipe exactly and I measure!

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I follow the recipe pretty closely

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I follow the recipe but usually don't measure and sometimes make substitutions

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I review the recipe and then do whatever the heck I feel like.

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
With cooking I am definitely a pant-seater (not pants-eater). However, when it comes to baking I always follow the recipe exactly unless I am deliberately experimenting.

I have been wondering about how we view recipes and use them.

Do you carefully follow recipes or change them as you go along, preferring to use recipes as a creative catalyst?

Do you measure or wing it?

Are you a daredevil cook; do you have the guts to serve an untried recipe to guests?
recipes are more of guidelines/suggestions. mostly for cooking but to a small extent in baking.

when it comes to baking i still play with additions to the recipes or switching out fats and liquids for other fats or liquids. i pay attention to ratios and leavening agents.

i rarely measure with measuring implements. i use the palm of my hand or just eye it. EXCEPT when it comes to baking.

i am a daredevil and i have served untried recipes to guests and they have always turned out very good. just remember: never apologize - it was SUPPOSED to be like that!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom