Cooked Carrots and Beetroot, done bad every time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Water

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I have never liked cooked carrots, only raw. IMO, cooked carrots tastes distinctly like the smell that comes from a brand new fitted carpet. Go into any carpet store, take a deep breath. Imagine how the air must taste. That is the taste of cooked carrots to me.

Recently I started eating beetroot that I found shredded up in a salad and decided I really liked it. I mentioned this in passing to a relative and she was nice enough to think of buying me some beetroot. The beetroot was in a packet and was already pre-cooked and sitting in it's own juice. I took one taste.... blech! It's like new carpet!

I went and bought some whole raw beetroot and and after cleaning and skinning it I just munched down on it. Very tasty, almost fruity!

I have never met one other person who can agree with me on these two vegetables tasting like new carpet (or something similarly inedible and harsh-chemical-smelling). Does anybody have any knowledge of carrots or beetroot tasting this way when they're overcooked or anything? Is it a result of improper preparation?

Hello,

I have never liked cooked carrots, only raw. IMO, cooked carrots tastes distinctly like the smell that comes from a brand new fitted carpet. Go into any carpet store, take a deep breath. Imagine how the air must taste. That is the taste of cooked carrots to me.

Recently I started eating beetroot that I found shredded up in a salad and decided I really liked it. I mentioned this in passing to a relative and she was nice enough to think of buying me some beetroot. The beetroot was in a packet and was already pre-cooked and sitting in it's own juice. I took one taste.... blech! It's like new carpet!

I went and bought some whole raw beetroot and and after cleaning and skinning it I just munched down on it. Very tasty, almost fruity!

I have never met one other person who can agree with me on these two vegetables tasting like new carpet (or something similarly inedible and harsh-chemical-smelling). Does anybody have any knowledge of carrots or beetroot tasting this way when they're overcooked or anything? Is it a result of improper preparation?

Never experienced that. Now if you want something that smells, grate some daikon.;)

My spouse will eat raw celery all day, but if cooked, will leave the room.

I like good Kentucky Bourbon. But Scotch Wiskey ( I don't care how old) to me tastes like Diesel Fuel.

If you don't like cooked carrots or beets, Don't eat them!

What a booring world this would be if we all liked the same things.

Eric, Austin Tx.

I like good Kentucky Bourbon. But Scotch Wiskey ( I don't care how old) to me tastes like Diesel Fuel.

Eric, Austin Tx.

I am with your spouse on the celery. Yet my middle son loves it cooked and never raw. :angel:

Giggler... did you ever tried diesel fuel? I did, trust me when i say: there is nothing more terrible than diesel fuel running down your throat! :wacko:

[snip]

Eric, Austin Tx.

That's good advice.

Eat what you like and let someone else eat what you don't.

Different strokes for different folks.

I prefer my carrots cooked and I'm sure way overcooked for some. Sliced thin and not too many in a salad raw is good also. :yum:

But if it tastes like carpet to you then stay away. :sick:

Now if it were only to taste like a throw rug then you might keep on trying. ;)

[snip]

Eric, Austin Tx.

Too funny! To me, bourbon tastes like it was brewed in an old tire. Love a good Scotch or Irish whisky though!

Yes, fresh is usually better tasting.

Last edited:

Eric, Austin Tx.

I don't feel any need to eat them. :glare: I am asking a specific question - is this the result of improper preparation and has anyone else noticed the new-carpet taste?

To all those saying "don't eat them" do you think I'm 2-years-old that I can't decide not to eat something I don't like? Wow how patronizing.

Last edited:
I don't feel any need to eat them. :glare: I am asking a specific question - is this the result of improper preparation and has anyone else noticed the new-carpet taste?

To all those saying "don't eat them" do you think I'm 2-years-old that I can't decide not to eat something I don't like? Wow how patronizing.

Let me see how to say this without sounding patronizing. Everyone's taste buds are different. Just because you taste "new carpet" (now just how much new carpet have you eaten to have THAT comparison?) doesn't mean anyone else has. They are perfectly in their rights to say, "if that's what you taste, don't eat it". Some people taste soap when they eat cilantro, others don't. It's not in the preparation (unless you are throwing in chunks of new carpet), it's YOUR taste buds...don't eat it.

I'm sorry, I missed the original question..

I would say that steaming the veggies would retain most of the raw flavor. boiling, a more cooked flavor. sautaing is more pungent, and Roasting is very pungent..

to me, Roasting gives a much more strong flavor.

Eric, Austin Tx.

I really don't cook carrots often, as I'm more interested in getting green veggies into our diet. Frankly, I never liked carrots very much but I found a very good way of cooking them here, from somebody. BTW, it pays to hang out here. ;)

Cook your salted carrot "coins" (or baby carrots) till just UNDER tender and drain. Add equal parts of fresh lemon juice, butter, and honey and cook till tender. They are really delicious this way, even for those of us who don't really like carrots.
:chef:

I think it's pretty safe to say that so far, nobody has noticed a "new carpet taste" This must be unique to you.

Last edited:

No I don't feel that way. I love cooked carrots and I love cooked beets (never heard it called "beetroot" before). I have a simple recipe for carrots and fennel sauteed with coriander and fennel seeds that I really like. If I can get the fennel here in the hinterlands it will probably be on the table at Christmas along side the rib roast.

Let me see how to say this without sounding patronizing. Everyone's taste buds are different. Just because you taste "new carpet" (now just how much new carpet have you eaten to have THAT comparison?) doesn't mean anyone else has. They are perfectly in their rights to say, "if that's what you taste, don't eat it". Some people taste soap when they eat cilantro, others don't. It's not in the preparation (unless you are throwing in chunks of new carpet), it's YOUR taste buds...don't eat it.

My sister and I love cilantro, but my brother is one of the "tastes like soap" crowd. Same genetic heritage, but different dominance.

No I don't feel that way. I love cooked carrots and I love cooked beets (never heard it called "beetroot" before). I have a simple recipe for carrots and fennel sauteed with coriander and fennel seeds that I really like. If I can get the fennel here in the hinterlands it will probably be on the table at Christmas along side the rib roast.

My sister and I love cilantro, but my brother is one of the "tastes like soap" crowd. Same genetic heritage, but different dominance.

Good grief! You are almost in Nebraska. Cheyenne or Greeley may have cilantro...don't even try in Nebraska, I had to import my own chipotle and mangos...LOL!

I have never heard of someone having a carpet scented taste for carrots or beets before.

I like carrots raw, tender crisp or overcooked. My son only likes cooked carrots. My BF also prefers his carrots more on the well done side. I made peas and carrots(tender crisp) tonigt for dinner and he asked me to cook the carrots more next time. :)

Don't know about carpet odor but I detest boiled carrots unless they're in a soup or stew. Love 'em roasted though.

I bake beets in foil as soon as I bring them home and store in the frig, still foil wrapped. Treat the leaves like collard or turnip greens.

Good grief! You are almost in Nebraska. Cheyenne or Greeley may have cilantro...don't even try in Nebraska, I had to import my own chipotle and mangos...LOL!

The cilantro I can get, it's the fennel bulbs that are eluding me so far. I'm going to Denver in early December, so I may be looking for a way to keep the fennel good until Christmas. If I have to partially cook it, then freeze it, I can do that. I think that I can still make the recipe work if the fennel is briefly blanched then quickly put into a stopping bath. I'll have to do some research.

The cilantro I can get, it's the fennel bulbs that are eluding me so far. I'm going to Denver in early December, so I may be looking for a way to keep the fennel good until Christmas. If I have to partially cook it, then freeze it, I can do that. I think that I can still make the recipe work if the fennel is briefly blanched then quickly put into a stopping bath. I'll have to do some research.

I don't envy you the trip through Denver. The kids live in Cherry Creek, I can have them look around for you.

Were the pre-cooked beets given to you in a can or package? To be honest, I don't mind the canned when I pickle them, but I don't like them heated from the can. I've found the packaged varieties hit and miss. Not that I would call them tasting like a new carpet smells - just not tasty to me.

I much prefer them roasted. A really-nice sweetness develops during roasting. I love them straight that way or sliced in a salad....like with orange slices and goat cheese...maybe a little sherry vinaigrette. :)

I love beets but am one of the few in my family who does like them. I also like carrots, but cannot stand the canned variety. Again, canned carrots do not taste like new carpet smells....vinyl perhaps? ;)

~Kathleen

Don't know about carpet odor but I detest boiled carrots unless they're in a soup or stew. Love 'em roasted though.

I bake beets in foil as soon as I bring them home and store in the frig, still foil wrapped. Treat the leaves like collard or turnip greens.

I feel the same exact way about carrots, diced small and in a stew or pot pie, fine, but boiled no way. Roasted they almost become magical, I had a carrot hater that came to dinner, to be polite he tried the roasted carrots and has now become obsessed with them, cooks them often.

Back
Top Bottom