"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-13-2014, 02:41 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cooked Carrots and Beetroot, done bad every time?

Hello,

I have never liked cooked carrots, only raw. IMO, cooked carrots tastes distinctly like the smell that comes from a brand new fitted carpet. Go into any carpet store, take a deep breath. Imagine how the air must taste. That is the taste of cooked carrots to me.

Recently I started eating beetroot that I found shredded up in a salad and decided I really liked it. I mentioned this in passing to a relative and she was nice enough to think of buying me some beetroot. The beetroot was in a packet and was already pre-cooked and sitting in it's own juice. I took one taste.... blech! It's like new carpet!

I went and bought some whole raw beetroot and and after cleaning and skinning it I just munched down on it. Very tasty, almost fruity!

I have never met one other person who can agree with me on these two vegetables tasting like new carpet (or something similarly inedible and harsh-chemical-smelling). Does anybody have any knowledge of carrots or beetroot tasting this way when they're overcooked or anything? Is it a result of improper preparation?

Old 11-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water View Post
Hello,

I have never liked cooked carrots, only raw. IMO, cooked carrots tastes distinctly like the smell that comes from a brand new fitted carpet. Go into any carpet store, take a deep breath. Imagine how the air must taste. That is the taste of cooked carrots to me.

Recently I started eating beetroot that I found shredded up in a salad and decided I really liked it. I mentioned this in passing to a relative and she was nice enough to think of buying me some beetroot. The beetroot was in a packet and was already pre-cooked and sitting in it's own juice. I took one taste.... blech! It's like new carpet!

I went and bought some whole raw beetroot and and after cleaning and skinning it I just munched down on it. Very tasty, almost fruity!

I have never met one other person who can agree with me on these two vegetables tasting like new carpet (or something similarly inedible and harsh-chemical-smelling). Does anybody have any knowledge of carrots or beetroot tasting this way when they're overcooked or anything? Is it a result of improper preparation?
Never experienced that. Now if you want something that smells, grate some daikon.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
Sous Chef

My spouse will eat raw celery all day, but if cooked, will leave the room.

I like good Kentucky Bourbon. But Scotch Wiskey ( I don't care how old) to me tastes like Diesel Fuel.

If you don't like cooked carrots or beets, Don't eat them!

What a booring world this would be if we all liked the same things.

Eric, Austin Tx.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post

I like good Kentucky Bourbon. But Scotch Wiskey ( I don't care how old) to me tastes like Diesel Fuel.

Eric, Austin Tx.
I am with your spouse on the celery. Yet my middle son loves it cooked and never raw.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Giggler... did you ever tried diesel fuel? I did, trust me when i say: there is nothing more terrible than diesel fuel running down your throat!
Old 11-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
Head Chef

I will have my carrots raw, too. Beets and turnips and radishes--not raw, not cooked. Not in the garden. Not in a box, not with a fox. Just NO.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
[snip]

Eric, Austin Tx.
That's good advice.

Eat what you like and let someone else eat what you don't.

Different strokes for different folks.

I prefer my carrots cooked and I'm sure way overcooked for some. Sliced thin and not too many in a salad raw is good also.

But if it tastes like carpet to you then stay away.

Now if it were only to taste like a throw rug then you might keep on trying.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Cooked Carrots and Beetroot, done bad every time?

Quote:
[snip]

Eric, Austin Tx.

Too funny! To me, bourbon tastes like it was brewed in an old tire. Love a good Scotch or Irish whisky though!

Yes, fresh is usually better tasting.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:47 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:

Eric, Austin Tx.
I don't feel any need to eat them. I am asking a specific question - is this the result of improper preparation and has anyone else noticed the new-carpet taste?

To all those saying "don't eat them" do you think I'm 2-years-old that I can't decide not to eat something I don't like? Wow how patronizing.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water View Post
I don't feel any need to eat them. I am asking a specific question - is this the result of improper preparation and has anyone else noticed the new-carpet taste?

To all those saying "don't eat them" do you think I'm 2-years-old that I can't decide not to eat something I don't like? Wow how patronizing.
Let me see how to say this without sounding patronizing. Everyone's taste buds are different. Just because you taste "new carpet" (now just how much new carpet have you eaten to have THAT comparison?) doesn't mean anyone else has. They are perfectly in their rights to say, "if that's what you taste, don't eat it". Some people taste soap when they eat cilantro, others don't. It's not in the preparation (unless you are throwing in chunks of new carpet), it's YOUR taste buds...don't eat it.

Tags
carrot, carrots, cook