"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-13-2014, 02:41 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Undisclosed
Posts: 5
Cooked Carrots and Beetroot, done bad every time?

Hello,

I have never liked cooked carrots, only raw. IMO, cooked carrots tastes distinctly like the smell that comes from a brand new fitted carpet. Go into any carpet store, take a deep breath. Imagine how the air must taste. That is the taste of cooked carrots to me.

Recently I started eating beetroot that I found shredded up in a salad and decided I really liked it. I mentioned this in passing to a relative and she was nice enough to think of buying me some beetroot. The beetroot was in a packet and was already pre-cooked and sitting in it's own juice. I took one taste.... blech! It's like new carpet!

I went and bought some whole raw beetroot and and after cleaning and skinning it I just munched down on it. Very tasty, almost fruity!

I have never met one other person who can agree with me on these two vegetables tasting like new carpet (or something similarly inedible and harsh-chemical-smelling). Does anybody have any knowledge of carrots or beetroot tasting this way when they're overcooked or anything? Is it a result of improper preparation?

__________________

__________________
Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water View Post
Hello,

I have never liked cooked carrots, only raw. IMO, cooked carrots tastes distinctly like the smell that comes from a brand new fitted carpet. Go into any carpet store, take a deep breath. Imagine how the air must taste. That is the taste of cooked carrots to me.

Recently I started eating beetroot that I found shredded up in a salad and decided I really liked it. I mentioned this in passing to a relative and she was nice enough to think of buying me some beetroot. The beetroot was in a packet and was already pre-cooked and sitting in it's own juice. I took one taste.... blech! It's like new carpet!

I went and bought some whole raw beetroot and and after cleaning and skinning it I just munched down on it. Very tasty, almost fruity!

I have never met one other person who can agree with me on these two vegetables tasting like new carpet (or something similarly inedible and harsh-chemical-smelling). Does anybody have any knowledge of carrots or beetroot tasting this way when they're overcooked or anything? Is it a result of improper preparation?
Never experienced that. Now if you want something that smells, grate some daikon.
__________________

__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin, TX.
Posts: 567
My spouse will eat raw celery all day, but if cooked, will leave the room.

I like good Kentucky Bourbon. But Scotch Wiskey ( I don't care how old) to me tastes like Diesel Fuel.

If you don't like cooked carrots or beets, Don't eat them!

What a booring world this would be if we all liked the same things.

Eric, Austin Tx.
__________________
giggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post
My spouse will eat raw celery all day, but if cooked, will leave the room.

I like good Kentucky Bourbon. But Scotch Wiskey ( I don't care how old) to me tastes like Diesel Fuel.

If you don't like cooked carrots or beets, Don't eat them!

What a booring world this would be if we all liked the same things.

Eric, Austin Tx.
I am with your spouse on the celery. Yet my middle son loves it cooked and never raw.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
LeeLe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Lexington
Posts: 6
Giggler... did you ever tried diesel fuel? I did, trust me when i say: there is nothing more terrible than diesel fuel running down your throat!
__________________
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
- W. C. Fields
LeeLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
Head Chef
 
sparrowgrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Highest point in Missouri
Posts: 1,794
I will have my carrots raw, too. Beets and turnips and radishes--not raw, not cooked. Not in the garden. Not in a box, not with a fox. Just NO.
__________________
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
Zagut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Friendship,MD.
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post
[snip]
If you don't like cooked carrots or beets, Don't eat them!

What a booring world this would be if we all liked the same things.

Eric, Austin Tx.
That's good advice.

Eat what you like and let someone else eat what you don't.

Different strokes for different folks.

I prefer my carrots cooked and I'm sure way overcooked for some. Sliced thin and not too many in a salad raw is good also.

But if it tastes like carpet to you then stay away.

Now if it were only to taste like a throw rug then you might keep on trying.
__________________
Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,094
Cooked Carrots and Beetroot, done bad every time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post
[snip]

I like good Kentucky Bourbon. But Scotch Wiskey ( I don't care how old) to me tastes like Diesel Fuel.



What a booring world this would be if we all liked the same things.

Eric, Austin Tx.

Too funny! To me, bourbon tastes like it was brewed in an old tire. Love a good Scotch or Irish whisky though!

Yes, fresh is usually better tasting.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:47 AM   #9
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Undisclosed
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post
My spouse will eat raw celery all day, but if cooked, will leave the room.

I like good Kentucky Bourbon. But Scotch Wiskey ( I don't care how old) to me tastes like Diesel Fuel.

If you don't like cooked carrots or beets, Don't eat them!

What a booring world this would be if we all liked the same things.

Eric, Austin Tx.
I don't feel any need to eat them. I am asking a specific question - is this the result of improper preparation and has anyone else noticed the new-carpet taste?

To all those saying "don't eat them" do you think I'm 2-years-old that I can't decide not to eat something I don't like? Wow how patronizing.
__________________
Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water View Post
I don't feel any need to eat them. I am asking a specific question - is this the result of improper preparation and has anyone else noticed the new-carpet taste?

To all those saying "don't eat them" do you think I'm 2-years-old that I can't decide not to eat something I don't like? Wow how patronizing.
Let me see how to say this without sounding patronizing. Everyone's taste buds are different. Just because you taste "new carpet" (now just how much new carpet have you eaten to have THAT comparison?) doesn't mean anyone else has. They are perfectly in their rights to say, "if that's what you taste, don't eat it". Some people taste soap when they eat cilantro, others don't. It's not in the preparation (unless you are throwing in chunks of new carpet), it's YOUR taste buds...don't eat it.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
carrot, carrots, cook

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.