Cookery books tell fibs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm puzzled, Wyshie. Your dish looks so much better than the one from the cookbook. I'd much prefer your gravy to that pallid white stuff, at least I would know it had flavor. That said, I would agree with others, there's some sauce "beautification" going on in the book pic.

I also wonder if there was some cheesecloth or other strainage going on with the book sauce.

As I looked at the two photos again. The book photo has very little sauce. With your sauce, there is plenty. The book sauce was definitely made separately. Just enough to appear in the photo. Nice pictures in the books. But reality in your kitchen is so much closer to the truth. I would rather eat your dish than the one in the book.

If the recipe in the books sounds and looks like something you would want to make and eat, then cook your heart out. I think we are all in agreement here.

As the old saying goes, "Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see. Wise advice. :angel:

I can post the ingredients, but I did this as per the book so it would be an almost exact copy of the authors recipe which I think is a no no?

4 chicken joints (I used pairs of drumsticks)
salt
pepper
tbsp. thyme, lemon thyme if available.
zest and juice of one lemon
I pint (uk) chicken stock
cornflour
double cream
I am guessing you had to make a roux of the stock and corn flour, but where's the fat? And then the cream and the lemon juice. For a photo shoot we might have faked it and made a basic white sauce....added the zest on top to make it look pretty to get that photo, but to test the recipe, we don't do that sort of thing. Sometimes we fake things for the photo--blanch the green beans to keep them vibrant, etc., but we never polish the food with hair spray, etc.

Right.

I made Chicken and Lemon Casserole today, and not for the first time my results did not look anything like the picture in the book.

I'm not the best cook but I can follow a set of instructions, the sauce in the recipe book was almost pure white while mine was a pale brown. I really don't see how by following the recipe you can end up with a white sauce.

Some cook books also state that all recipes are tried and tested but I also wonder about that from time to time as I have often had to make modifications to make a recipe work.

Any thoughts?

Book.

Me.

My thought is to use a different cookbook.

There is no way following this recipe would give you a result that looks like that.

That sauce looks to me like a plain bland béchamel sauce made with butter, flour and milk. Its flat like béchamel not glossy like a cornstarch sauce.

Making a sauce with chicken stock will, by definition, get you a sauce that's tannish in color since the stock will be golden.

Plus the recipe itself is dodgy. There's no need to cook the chicken in the stock. You'll get flabby chicken and no fond to season your pan sauce with.

Next time, rub the chicken with lemon juice and salt and pepper it liberally. Sprinkle with herbs of choice.

Bake it in a baking dish until done. Remove chicken and keep warm.

Deglaze the pan with a little white wine and scrape up all the fond (brown bits) and dissolve it in the wine. Add 2 cups or so of chicken stock to the pan, bring it to a boil, turn down to a simmer and reduce by about half. Add lemon juice to taste.

Dissolve some cornstarch in some chicken stock.

Whisk in some of the cornstarch mixture and bring the sauce to a boil again (cornstarch needs heat to thicken). If its not thick enough, add a little more.

Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.

This sauce will look a lot like the one you made, probably even darker from the fond.

Jenny and Addie , what is "fond" ?

Wyshie yours looks much better and plenty of sauce . Oh and good to see you have Stork in ,it's brilliant for cakes .

GQ, fond is the stuff that sticks to the bottom of the pan when you brown meat.

Ah, Cheers chaps, am not familiar with that term . so you would use the fond to deglaze the pan ? I think we would just call it meat juices/crusty bits , which I would make gravy or sauce from .

Last edited:
Ah, Cheers chaps, am not familiar with that term . so you would use the fond to deglaze the pan ? I think we would just call it meat juices/crusty bits , which I would make gravy or sauce from .

The fond is stuck to the pan. You would use a liquid, wine, stock or water to deglaze the pan (dissolve the fond) (crusty bits).

You got it. Though I do like the term "crusty bits".

It wouldn't be the first time we have borrowed a word or two from the Brits. Crusty bits from here on in. Having been married to a Brit, I learned what a nappy with my first born and continued to use it with all five kids. It was like learning a whole new language. I even know what a rubber is in Brit language. :angel:

Last edited:
:);)

Ah yes we can have fun with learning different terms and phrases . I used to buy Martha's Living magazine from Costco and I discovered I had a breakfront . I polish it in between cleaning out my mud room with a handcrafted mop made from an aged oak tree I chopped down and homespun wool from my hand reared highland cattle .

It wouldn't be the first time we have borrowed a word or two from the Brits. Crusty bits from here on in. Having been married to a Brit, I learned what a nappy with my first born and continued to use it with all five kids. *It was like learning a whole new language. I even know what a rubber is in Brit language*. :angel:
And a whole generation of American soldiers, passing through Britain 70-odd years ago, must have thoroughly confused staff in chemist's shops and in turn the GIs must have been confused when they were sent to the stationery shop! ;)

(and if DC-ers don't understand the afore-going they are far to young for me to explain it to them :).)

My thought is to use a different cookbook.

There is no way following this recipe would give you a result that looks like that.

That sauce looks to me like a plain bland béchamel sauce made with butter, flour and milk. Its flat like béchamel not glossy like a cornstarch sauce.

Making a sauce with chicken stock will, by definition, get you a sauce that's tannish in color since the stock will be golden.

Plus the recipe itself is dodgy. There's no need to cook the chicken in the stock. You'll get flabby chicken and no fond to season your pan sauce with.

Next time, rub the chicken with lemon juice and salt and pepper it liberally. Sprinkle with herbs of choice.

Bake it in a baking dish until done. Remove chicken and keep warm.

Deglaze the pan with a little white wine and scrape up all the fond (brown bits) and dissolve it in the wine. Add 2 cups or so of chicken stock to the pan, bring it to a boil, turn down to a simmer and reduce by about half. Add lemon juice to taste.

Dissolve some cornstarch in some chicken stock.

Whisk in some of the cornstarch mixture and bring the sauce to a boil again (cornstarch needs heat to thicken). If its not thick enough, add a little more.

Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.

This sauce will look a lot like the one you made, probably even darker from the fond.

Unfortunately I'm not at all artistic or inventive so practically all my cooking originates from a cookbook. I would have great difficulty in inventing a dish from scratch. Also if I cannot get an ingredient I will scratch what I was planning to cook and do something else, I don't like substituting. I recently had to order some asafoetida, some dried pomegranate and some yellow lentils.

Do you think a possible explanation for the method in this recipe is that casseroling in a thin liquid thoroughly infused the chicken with the lemony flavours in the liquid?

:);)

Ah yes we can have fun with learning different terms and phrases . I used to buy Martha's Living magazine from Costco and I discovered I had a breakfront . I polish it in between cleaning out my mud room with a handcrafted mop made from an aged oak tree I chopped down and homespun wool from my hand reared highland cattle .

When I moved to Texas I had a neighbor who told me she never knew she had a parlor. New Englanders don't give up some of our old traditions very easily.

I read a book many years ago written by an American soldier in WWII. He was assigned to an office for clerical work. The book was absolutely hilarious. It was all about his adventure in England and learning about the new language and traditions. I was reading it on the bus as I went to work. The people on the bus must have thought I had lost my mind as I started to laugh uncontrollably and couldn't stop. There was a passage about when a female in the office with about 50 other people there asked if anyone had a rubber. For Americans a rubber is just another name for a condom. What cracked me up so hard is that she yelled it out across the room. And the poor soldier thought she meant a condom. He could feel his face turn red. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom