"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-09-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Wyshiepoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Guernsey
Posts: 191
Cookery books tell fibs!

Right.

I made Chicken and Lemon Casserole today, and not for the first time my results did not look anything like the picture in the book.

I'm not the best cook but I can follow a set of instructions, the sauce in the recipe book was almost pure white while mine was a pale brown. I really don't see how by following the recipe you can end up with a white sauce.

Some cook books also state that all recipes are tried and tested but I also wonder about that from time to time as I have often had to make modifications to make a recipe work.

Any thoughts?




Book.





Me.


__________________

__________________
Lives of great men all remind us we may make our life sublime.
Wyshiepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,458
Cookery books tell fibs!

No advice, but I think yours looks much tastier, Wyshie, IMHO.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyshiepoo View Post
Right.

I made Chicken and Lemon Casserole today, and not for the first time my results did not look anything like the picture in the book.

I'm not the best cook but I can follow a set of instructions, the sauce in the recipe book was almost pure white while mine was a pale brown. I really don't see how by following the recipe you can end up with a white sauce.

Some cook books also state that all recipes are tried and tested but I also wonder about that from time to time as I have often had to make modifications to make a recipe work.

Any thoughts?




Book.





Me.
Unfortunately, what you see isn't necessarily what you get. The photographs in cookery books and magazine articles are prepared by stylists whose first priority is appearance rather than accurate portrayal of the dish produced by the cookery writer's cooks.

Ever wondered why your pie doesn't look as neat and tidy as the one in the picture? The answer is a filling of mashed potato. Ditto the ice cream that isn't melting under the photographer's lights. Stylists use all sorts of tricks to make things look "better" for the purpose of the book.

I'd say that could be one of the reasons why yours doesn't look like the picture.


In this case the recipe calls the dish a casserole but the chicken in the photograph is clearly baked/roasted and the sauce made separately and poured over the chicken at the point of service instead of the chicken being cooked in the sauce as yours was.
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
Senior Cook
 
Wyshiepoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Guernsey
Posts: 191
Well I think that is dishonest.

I also have one book called 500 recipes in 20 minutes, the recipes I've tried from there have been very good, but 20 minutes? You're having a laugh!
__________________
Lives of great men all remind us we may make our life sublime.
Wyshiepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Unfortunately, what you see isn't necessarily what you get. The photographs in cookery books and magazine articles are prepared by stylists whose first priority is appearance rather than accurate portrayal of the dish produced by the cookery writer's cooks.

Ever wondered why your pie doesn't look as neat and tidy as the one in the picture? The answer is a filling of mashed potato. Ditto the ice cream that isn't melting under the photographer's lights. Stylists use all sorts of tricks to make things look "better" for the purpose of the book.

I'd say that could be one of the reasons why yours doesn't look like the picture.


In this case the recipe calls the dish a casserole but the chicken in the photograph is clearly baked/roasted and the sauce made separately and poured over the chicken at the point of service instead of the chicken being cooked in the sauce as yours was.
Absolutely +1!
__________________
If you're gonna make a Key Lime pie, you have to use real Key Limes!
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyshiepoo View Post
Well I think that is dishonest.

I also have one book called 500 recipes in 20 minutes, the recipes I've tried from there have been very good, but 20 minutes? You're having a laugh!
They may be 20 minutes, not counting the prep work.
__________________
If you're gonna make a Key Lime pie, you have to use real Key Limes!
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,531
I like your topic and it reminds me that my children used to ask me if I could make "it" look like the the cookbooks show. Always tried/try.

I recall an especially funny bit that George Carlin did years ago. It was something like discussing the kind of cook his mother was and ended with him shouting with very clear enunciation, "But, does it look like the picture?!"

For years, that was the silly mantra in our house. Meant to be funny rather than critical.

Even now, some of my adult children will utter those words.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,680
Can you post the recipe?
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:28 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,627
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I had that exact same colour difference with a pork chops in mushroom herb sauce recipe. It taste wonderful, so I don't mind. I actually like the darker colour. But, I was quite surprised the first time I made it.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #10
Senior Cook
 
Wyshiepoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Guernsey
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Can you post the recipe?

I can post the ingredients, but I did this as per the book so it would be an almost exact copy of the authors recipe which I think is a no no?

4 chicken joints (I used pairs of drumsticks)
salt
pepper
tbsp. thyme, lemon thyme if available.
zest and juice of one lemon
I pint (uk) chicken stock
cornflour
double cream
__________________

__________________
Lives of great men all remind us we may make our life sublime.
Wyshiepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cook

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.