"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-09-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Cookery books tell fibs!

Right.

I made Chicken and Lemon Casserole today, and not for the first time my results did not look anything like the picture in the book.

I'm not the best cook but I can follow a set of instructions, the sauce in the recipe book was almost pure white while mine was a pale brown. I really don't see how by following the recipe you can end up with a white sauce.

Some cook books also state that all recipes are tried and tested but I also wonder about that from time to time as I have often had to make modifications to make a recipe work.

Any thoughts?

Book.

Me.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Cookery books tell fibs!

No advice, but I think yours looks much tastier, Wyshie, IMHO.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyshiepoo View Post
Right.

I made Chicken and Lemon Casserole today, and not for the first time my results did not look anything like the picture in the book.

I'm not the best cook but I can follow a set of instructions, the sauce in the recipe book was almost pure white while mine was a pale brown. I really don't see how by following the recipe you can end up with a white sauce.

Some cook books also state that all recipes are tried and tested but I also wonder about that from time to time as I have often had to make modifications to make a recipe work.

Any thoughts?

Book.

Me.
Unfortunately, what you see isn't necessarily what you get. The photographs in cookery books and magazine articles are prepared by stylists whose first priority is appearance rather than accurate portrayal of the dish produced by the cookery writer's cooks.

Ever wondered why your pie doesn't look as neat and tidy as the one in the picture? The answer is a filling of mashed potato. Ditto the ice cream that isn't melting under the photographer's lights. Stylists use all sorts of tricks to make things look "better" for the purpose of the book.

I'd say that could be one of the reasons why yours doesn't look like the picture.

In this case the recipe calls the dish a casserole but the chicken in the photograph is clearly baked/roasted and the sauce made separately and poured over the chicken at the point of service instead of the chicken being cooked in the sauce as yours was.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Well I think that is dishonest.

I also have one book called 500 recipes in 20 minutes, the recipes I've tried from there have been very good, but 20 minutes? You're having a laugh!
Old 04-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Unfortunately, what you see isn't necessarily what you get. The photographs in cookery books and magazine articles are prepared by stylists whose first priority is appearance rather than accurate portrayal of the dish produced by the cookery writer's cooks.

Ever wondered why your pie doesn't look as neat and tidy as the one in the picture? The answer is a filling of mashed potato. Ditto the ice cream that isn't melting under the photographer's lights. Stylists use all sorts of tricks to make things look "better" for the purpose of the book.

I'd say that could be one of the reasons why yours doesn't look like the picture.

In this case the recipe calls the dish a casserole but the chicken in the photograph is clearly baked/roasted and the sauce made separately and poured over the chicken at the point of service instead of the chicken being cooked in the sauce as yours was.
Absolutely +1!
Old 04-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyshiepoo View Post
Well I think that is dishonest.

I also have one book called 500 recipes in 20 minutes, the recipes I've tried from there have been very good, but 20 minutes? You're having a laugh!
They may be 20 minutes, not counting the prep work.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I like your topic and it reminds me that my children used to ask me if I could make "it" look like the the cookbooks show. Always tried/try.

I recall an especially funny bit that George Carlin did years ago. It was something like discussing the kind of cook his mother was and ended with him shouting with very clear enunciation, "But, does it look like the picture?!"

For years, that was the silly mantra in our house. Meant to be funny rather than critical.

Even now, some of my adult children will utter those words.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #8
Master Chef

Can you post the recipe?
Old 04-09-2015, 06:28 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I had that exact same colour difference with a pork chops in mushroom herb sauce recipe. It taste wonderful, so I don't mind. I actually like the darker colour. But, I was quite surprised the first time I made it.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Can you post the recipe?

I can post the ingredients, but I did this as per the book so it would be an almost exact copy of the authors recipe which I think is a no no?

4 chicken joints (I used pairs of drumsticks)
salt
pepper
tbsp. thyme, lemon thyme if available.
zest and juice of one lemon
I pint (uk) chicken stock
cornflour
double cream

Tags
cook