Cookie Expedition: Fats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shelvasha

Assistant Cook
Hey everybody! Taking what I've learned from my questions about what makes a perfect cookie, and some research about certain ingredients, I have put together a small article about fats and it's importance in a cookie. I would love to know if I'm missing anything, as I am a newbie at cooking.

This is an excerpt:

With beginning this site, I have decided my first endeavor: The Perfect Cookie; well if one exists. Online forums are a good source of information so far. I’ve found a pretty consistent list of what is needed to basically customize a cookie to your liking, making it prefect. So far, I’ve been doing research on the role of fats:
Fats

Fats, in particularly solid fats, play a very important role when baking. One of the most important roles is that fact that fats allow cookies to spread out and become flat. Cookies that are low in fat, such as shortbread cookies, tend to be fluffier and more cake-like. Certain fats can also affect the degree of spread that a cookie has......

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Google and watch the Good Eats episode "Three Chips for Sister Marsha". That will answer your questions on fat in cookies (butter vs shortening) and how to replace other ingredients to make your "perfect cookie".

All depends on the texture, so we use either shortening or, butter.

Yes, that should have been explained in the video. One melts faster. The slow one allows the cookie to puff more before spreading.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom