Cookie problems???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaxsmommy

Assistant Cook
Could the fact that I used double acting bp and bs in the same recipe be the reason that my "chewy sugar cookies" came out like little fluffy cakes? lol :huh:

Well I don't know if all would agree with me, but I tend to "slam" my cookies halfway through baking time. If directions say to bake 10min, I pull cookies out at 5 min and slam the sheet on the counter, then return to oven for remaining 5 min.This releases some of the air in the cookies that make them get puffy. My cookies never come out cake like, ,they have a soft texture, not crunchy and they remain soft for days after. I'm not sure about the bp and bs you mentioned. Good luck!

Could the fact that I used double acting bp and bs in the same recipe be the reason that my "chewy sugar cookies" came out like little fluffy cakes? lol :huh:

Most baking powder you buy in the supermarket is double acting, meaning that it creates gas bubbles when mixed with liquid and then again when it's heated.

Because most people use double acting, most recipes assume that that's what you are using. Did the recipe specify single acting BP?

You might have a leavening problem if they are fluffy. Did you use butter or shortening? Shortening sometimes makes for a cakey cookie.

Can you post the recipe for us to look at?

Last edited:
no didn't call for a specific type of bp...plus it did call for baking soda also...so maybe I'll try bakingirls "slamming" idea next time and see if that works...I'm not much for baking...I hate all the exacts in it but, I followed the recipe to a t...and got little cakes instead of cookies. lol

Back
Top Bottom