"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #31
Master Chef

Someone that is so nervous about uncooked turkey is the prime candidate for a meat thermometer.

Otherwise you can cook it into inedible oblivion, just to make sure.

The only way to ensure a moist -- yet safe -- turkey is to use a meat thermometer.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

My turkey was in the refreg for 72 hours and this morning it is half frozen. So all the serches tell me to put it in the oven for 5 hours at 325 degress. So I pour some oil over the turkey and took my hands and made sure oil was all over the turkey put it in a oven bad with a tablespoon of flour and set my oven at 325 for 5 hours. With all that said will my turkey be done if I don't find any pink in it?

Old 12-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Of course. No pink, no problem. Use the thermometer you bought. And if the little pop up has popped up, it is done. You worry too much.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Of course. No pink, no problem. Use the thermometer you bought. And if the little pop up has popped up, it is done. You worry too much.
After 25 minutes in the oven at 325 I remember that I forgot to take out the neck and gizzard, so I put the turkey back into the sink and ran warm water over it until I could get them out and since my turkey was only a little frozen when I put it back into the bag it no longer felt frozen. As far as putting a thermometer in the turkey, if I did, it would be in the wrong place at the wrong depth and I never use one before and never had a problem because I have only cook for myself or just me and another person. Also cooking times are so different. One say this and one say that and the one with the bag say 2.5 hours at 350 so I'm going to do 3 hours at 350 just in case there was some of the turkey that was frozen I couldn't feel. Thanks
Old 12-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Hmm...I usually take the neck and bag of stuff out before I cook my turkey. The one that is in the oven right now has one of those pop-up thermometers in it. Supposedly, it will be done in just under 4 hours--I hope not--I planned 21 minutes/lb and it is a 20 lb turkey. It should not be done in just under 4 hours. Turkeys were 77 cents/lb yesterday, so I picked up 4 more...I like turkey.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

I'm like you I don't care what those thermometers say I'm going to cook my turkey until it is done. I would rather have an over cook turkey than a trip to the ER. Stick to 21 minutes/lb.but at what temp.? I might not have cook a turkey in over 5 years but I have cook about a dozen of them in my life and we use to cook them at 15 minutes/lbs. at 350, but with this oven bag they say cook a turkey 12-16 lbs. two to two and a half hours which is about 10 minutes/lb. so something isn't right here?
Old 12-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #37
Master Chef

I have visions of the turkey in the National Lampoon Christmas Vacation movie. :-)

You have complicated things somewhat by just now telling us that the turkey is still partially frozen.

For an unfrozen turkey 21 minutes per pound is way too long to cook it. The exterior meat will get hard and the rest will be dry.

For a partially frozen bird it's impossible to gauge min/pound. They only way to tell that it's done is with that dreaded meat thermometer.

Also, there is no reason to ever actually put undercooked turkey in your mouth. If its still pink, don't eat it. Put it back in the oven.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

After washing the turkey and taking out the neck and gizzard the turkey no longer felt frozen. Is it true that an oven bag will shorten the time for cooking? Because with the bag my time in 12 minutes per lbs. even if it say in so many words 10 milnutes per lbs. Otherwise I cook at 15 minutes per lbs.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #39
Master Chef

Follow the directions as stated on your cooking bags....I understand that men generally don't like to follow directions, but they were written by professionals who were paid to write them correctly. It does take less time to cook a turkey in them and even if you cook it longer than they recommend, your turkey will not dry out because of the bag.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul65 View Post
...I don't care what those thermometers say I'm going to cook my turkey until it is done. I would rather have an over cook turkey than a trip to the ER...

Overcooked and unsafe aren't the only options.

This thread is up to 40 posts and you're still saying you're going to do what you want. Why did you come here?

Tags
cooking, turkey