"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #41
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Overcooked and unsafe aren't the only options.

This thread is up to 40 posts and you're still saying you're going to do what you want. Why did you come here?
To get as much information as I could which I did and then make my decision. Itís called research. My decision is however differnent than when I first came here thanks to this site.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul65 View Post
To get as much information as I could which I did and then make my decision. Itís called research. My decision is however differnent than when I first came here thanks to this site.
Glad to be of help. the bags does shorten the cooken time.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't get what the problem is?
I've often cooked poultry in foil. In fact, I go through most of life in foil. You can't be too careful about "them" beaming stuff into your brain.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

This turkey has one of those "poppy up" thingys. It popped up at 1:00 p.m. (three hours in the oven at 325). I stabbed my meat thermometer next to the poppy up thing, 140. Not done. Why at 325? That is what the instructions were on the wrapper for this turkey. It is still in the oven and it is now at 153. I cook 6-7 turkeys a year, at least one a month from October - April. have been doing that for 25 years. I probably have cooked more turkeys than most DCers (except professional chefs/cooks). Turkey is like chicken in my life. There is just more meat. When the temp reaches 161, it is done. Foil, covered with a towel, it can sit for an hour or longer.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I've often cooked poultry in foil. In fact, I go through most of life in foil. You can't be too careful about "them" beaming stuff into your brain.
A new avitar for you Pac!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Watch that, Pac, I know s/one who got sent to a mental institution because he was out in the wild rice patch wearing foil on his head and got picked up by the sheriff....oh, was that you????Sorry, that was in Northern MN. Do you know Cowboy Bob? The guy that dresses up like a cowboy and goes out on garbage day and shoots the garbage cans?
Old 12-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
A new avitar for you Pac!

And it doubles as a tent for that prime rib roast!
(but not for how you and I cook them )
Old 12-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Watch that, Pac, I know s/one who got sent to a mental institution because he was out in the wild rice patch wearing foil on his head and got picked up by the sheriff....oh, was that you????Sorry, that was in Northern MN. Do you know Cowboy Bob? The guy that dresses up like a cowboy and goes out on garbage day and shoots the garbage cans?
Does shooting crows off your neighbor's garbage cans count?
OK, I haven't actually done that yet... but it's a thought
Old 12-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Does shooting crows off your neighbor's garbage cans count?
OK, I haven't actually done that yet... but it's a thought
If I remember correctly, Cowboy Bob wore red rhinestone cowboy boots. (Sadly, Cowboy Bob is a real person--he was a Vietnam Vet), but his gun was a cap gun. not a semi-automatic rifle (that was a good thing).
Old 12-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #50
Senior Cook

Were to start? Iím a thankfully former restaurant owner/operator. We used to roast on average a turkey a day and about six chickens in the same oven.
Hereís how we did it with 100% perfect delicious moist birds every day: Iíll preface this little sermon by saying in advance that everyone who has tried this method and followed it TO THE LETTER has never roasted any bird any other way again. Youíll notice I capitalize some words b/c these words are IMPORTANT.
Wet brine the bird/s the day before in Kosher salt....not table salt (Itís too salty). for about four to six hours. Pat dry and refrigerate overnight uncovered. You want the skin to be dry. A couple of hours before roasting remove from the fridge and cover with a towel to allow the bird/s to com up to about room temperature. stick a couple of lemon halves and a sprig or two of fresh thyme and or rosemary in the cavity. Do not Ďtrussí. You want the interior of the bird/s to get the same heat as the exterior. Rub to bird/s with a sprinkle of Kosher salt and some black pepper. DO NOT put any butter/fat/oil on the bird/s. Preheat the oven to 200 F. Thatís correct 200 F. Stick the bird/s onto the middle rack UNCOVERED.
Any protein that reaches a temperature above 212 F turns to basically rubber. That applies to all meats and even eggs. Anyway.
In a couple of hours check the internal temperature. You are looking for about 150 F. Check more frequently as the temp is rising. You will notice the outside of the bird/s is looking pretty pale. When you read 150 F immediately crank up the Ďbroilí. Now watch the bird/s like a hawk. Literally within a couple of minutes the skin will as if by magic turn a beautiful classic golden brown, Remove the birds from the oven right away an lightly tent. The Ďcarry overí will raise the internal temp to about 155+ F. This is perfect. Let the birdís rest depending on size for at least twenty minutes.
When you break down the birds roasted this way the meat will be juicy and delicious. Obviously all the chickens were roasted well ahead of the turkey.
Ever had roasted turkey/chicken where the first 1/4 inch of the breast meat was hard as a rock? We all have. Welcome to roasting at 450 F.
Try this method once and youíll never go back to the Ďdark sideí again.

Tags
cooking, turkey