"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #51
Master Chef

Cooking a turkey at 200 degrees is not safe. It's a recipe for potential food poisoning.

Cooking at such a low temperature means that the bird will be lingering in the danger zone (40-140) for hours in the cooker. This allows bacteria to swarm all over it, multiplying rapidly. Though most bacteria is killed by cooking, the bacteria can produce toxins that may not be killed by further cooking.

The USDA says you should never cook a turkey at less than 325, which I think is high to be on the safe side. I'm sure you could cook one lower than that, but definitely not at 200.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #52
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
Wet brine the bird/s the day before in Kosher salt....not table salt (Its too salty).

In actuality, kosher salt and table salt are equally salty. It's their crystal size that's usually different.

And it's very easy to cook a chicken at 450 and have it come out perfectly moist and delicious. The Zuni Cafe chicken recipe is foolproof.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #53
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
In actuality, kosher salt and table salt are equally salty. It's their crystal size that's usually different.

And it's very easy to cook a chicken at 450 and have it come out perfectly moist and delicious. The Zuni Cafe chicken recipe is foolproof.
B/c table salt has more crystals when you rub it on the bird you are going to get more of it on the bird compared to Kosher salt right?
As to exposing the surface of a bird to 350 F and waiting for that heat level to permeate into the meat until it reaches 150 F or maybe for you 170 F turns the surface of the bird into cement. I want the entire bird from the surface to the interior to be an even temp. Next time you have a bird roasting after a couple of hours touch a thermometer to the surface and look at the temp. Thanks for you opinion but I'll stick with my 'low and slow' method. In serving thousands of happy customers I never had anyone come back complaining of being 'poisoned'. By your logic every one who eats anything made 'Sous Vide' is taking their life in their hands.
If you are disputing the idea that protein strands essentially turn to rubber after reaching over 212 F take it up with Alton Brown.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #54
Executive Chef

I don't know how you prepped your birds that way because in any restaurant I have ever worked in no health inspector would ever allow you to let any meat, especially poultry, to sit out and come to room temp. We never know when she/he will drop in. Against the code, which I probably don't have to tell you. But, I digress...
Old 12-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #55
Certified Pretend Chef

Not to mention that 155F is not a safe temp. for cooked chicken. The drop dead temp. for salmonella is 161F.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #56
Master Chef

Ironically posted in response to someone who is very afraid of food poisoning.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #57
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I don't know how you prepped your birds that way because in any restaurant I have ever worked in no health inspector would ever allow you to let any meat, especially poultry, to sit out and come to room temp. We never know when she/he will drop in. Against the code, which I probably don't have to tell you. But, I digress...
When I was in the restaurant business it was over twenty five years ago. We saw the restaurant inspector maybe twice a year. If he had a 'special occasion' coming up some how he'd time the visit so he could mention that it was his daughters birthday in two weeks. "Well why not have the birthday dinner here?" Somehow that tab always seemed to get lost. IMO the 'nanny state' has taken over.
Two things: Billions or more birds have been consumed over time in conditions take would make most 'Westerners' gag with no ill effects. 'Low and slow' has been the only way rural people around the world could/can cook meat of any kind. There is simply is not the fuel (wood) to cook/roast meat at hight temperature. In rural China the grandmother stays home and spends her time putting tiny sticks of wood and straw and dung into the fire box to cook the evening meal......low and slow. Man did not evolve having ovens that could roast meat at 350-450 F for hours. It doesn't even make sense from a scientific angle.
Two: Do you enjoy going to the nice little Chinese or E. Indian restaurant in your neighborhood? Any idea how much propane can be saved by having all the meat due for cooking to be first at room temperature? Add that saving up over the years and you can pay for your kids next semester. Ever seen a Chinese restaurant go out of business for lack of customers b/c someone got 'food poisoning'? Ever notice that all the owners kids are driving BMW's and attending 'real' universities paid entirely by the parents cheque book. Connect the dots. As to when the local health inspector will drop in I'll let you in on a secret. Any large restaurant owner I know.....and I know a few know precisely what day and time the inspector will be dropping in 'unexpectedly'. That's when the owner brings in the professional cleaning crew the moment the place closes for the night. By six in the morning you can eat off the floors AND all the fire extinguishers have recent inspection tags. Go figure. I could go on but I won't.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #58
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

In these forums it's important to point out CURRENT safe practice guidelines.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

puffin3, so you're saying that all the thousands of health inspectors in this country can be bought for the price of a dinner? Having just been certified in the National Restaurant Association's ServSafe food safety program, I'm a bit skeptical.

Here are a couple pix of wine-butt grilled chicken (similar to beer-can chicken, but using wine instead). I preheated the grill for about 15 minutes. Mine doesn't have a thermometer, but the chicken is done in one hour and sometimes the temp is higher than I would like, but it's still juicy and delicious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chicken-on-roaster.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	16716   Click image for larger version

Name:	chicken-on-plate.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	16717  

Old 12-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #60
Ogress Supreme