"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cooking a 15-lb turkey in foil

I'm going to cook a 15 lbs. turkey in foil. This is the first time in 10 years I have cook a turkey so I let it thaw in the refrigerator for 72 hours. Rinse it and tin fold it all over and pre heat the oven at 450 and cook for 3 hours?

Old 12-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Why?

Old 12-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Master Chef

+1

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Why?
I don't want to poison myself which is why the post. It's just for me. I'll freeze some of it with a food saver. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. I can over cook it so I don't poison myself and still not dry it out because of the tin foil.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Why roast it the whole time in foil???
Old 12-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

In order to prevent "poisoning" yourself, you just have to cook it properly, you don't have to dream up a new way.

Cooking it in foil will not prevent it's drying out. The moisture will just collect inside the foil.

Check here for some recipe options. We're all still alive.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Head Chef

!5lbs X 450 X 3 hours = 1 dry bird You won't need you food saver, might not be anything to save!

You can start out at 450 for the first 20 minutes then lower the temp to 350 and just cook it until the internal temp reaches 180, then cover and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving. Roast it on a rack and add water or chicken stock to the pan. Just keep the liquid from evaporating, add more if needed.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul65 View Post
I don't want to poison myself which is why the post. It's just for me. I'll freeze some of it with a food saver. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. I can over cook it so I don't poison myself and still not dry it out because of the tin foil.
Here's what I did on Thanksgiving with a 15-pounder and it came out beautifully browned, juicy and cooked through: Preheat oven to 350 degrees, sprinkle with salt and pepper all over, place on a baking rack in a baking pan, pour 1 cup water in the pan to prevent the juices from burning, and roast for two hours. I knew it was done because I used an instant-read thermometer to measure the temperature of the thigh and breast. The thigh should be 160 degrees and the breast 165. Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 30 minutes before carving. The temperatures will rise 5-10 degrees while resting.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Master Chef

If you really want to enclose your turkey, these bags work beautifully and produce a very moist bird. They can be found in most grocery stores.

Amazon.com: Reynolds Nylon 510 Reynolds Oven Bag: Kitchen & Dining

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I never use foil when roasting fowl and you can see in the pics comes out moist. I always brine for 24 hours, air dry in the fridge for 24 hour and inject. Never use foil except when the bird is resting tented for 20 to 30 minutes.

Tags
cooking, turkey