Cooking a Betty Crocker cake mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chicken legs

Assistant Cook
Hi - I've bought a Betty Crocker Devil's cake mix because I thought I could use an 8inch cake tin. However, the box says use 2 x 8inch sandwich tins.#

Can I use my one tin and if so, should I cook at a different temperature. The box says 160 degrees for about 28 minutes

Thank you

There may be too much batter for your one pan. The cake mix box often gives 2 or 3 pan size alternatives for the cake. Also suggests different baking times.

That was my understanding, chicken legs. There's going to be too much batter for one 8" cake pan. Do you happen to have a muffin tin? You could use that for the leftover cake batter and make cupcakes. :)

You could always cook the 1 layer, then remove the cake, wash the pan out, which will also cool it, grease again and bake the rest of the batter. The second might not rise quite as much as the first but it should still be okay.

I just fill the pan, bake at 10% off the heat and in the cooler part of the oven, my heaten is above so I put the cake on the lower racks and just bake it a little longer around 35 - 40 min. Mind you, I only baked one betty crocker, in my whole life, but that how do receipes that ask for 2 pans and then I cut the cake in half or in three layers when cool.

Well, thank you for all the advice. I took a chance and cooked all of it in my cake tin. It's 4 inches deep so took all the mixture fine. It took ages to cook and I kept testing with a knitting needle until finally took it out after some45 minutes. Anyway, it looks good with a gently round top so should taste ok with the frosting in the middle and on top.

Thank you again to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom