"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-03-2005, 06:18 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

I actually just saw a stainless steel wok today at Williams Sonoma. It was an All Clad. I didn't check the price, because I would never buy it. It looked pretty, but I will find myself a $20 carbon steel wok when I am ready.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:00 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I actually just saw a stainless steel wok today at Williams Sonoma. It was an All Clad. I didn't check the price, because I would never buy it. It looked pretty, but I will find myself a $20 carbon steel wok when I am ready.
I have the All-Clad wok at home, and it's great especially for those who don't have a gas burner. All-Clad products heat and retain heat well, so it's a good way to go if you're looking for a flatbottomed wok to use on a electric stove.

I agree with jennyema however in the sense that it's the quality of the ingredients, the technique employed, and the skill of the cook that makes the biggest difference. The majority of the time, when I'm making a quick stir fry or fried rice, I use a saute pan, mainly because there's no wok handy.

Other than a wok, the only Asian type of cooking tools that I may use are steamer baskets, a "spider" when blanching or deep frying foods, and a bamboo sushi mat. I guess a santoku would count as well, and I do use some Asian inspired chinaware when plating, but that's about it.

Regarding ingredients, I use everything from Amaranthus (Chinese Spinach) to Yuzu (Japanese citrus fruit). I don't think there are any Asian ingredients that begin with the letter Z.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:09 PM   #13
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Ruth
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
the vessle with the pessle has the pellet with the poison, but the chassle from the castle has the brew that is true... (lol, anyone remember this?)
No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!

I remember I showed that movie to a male friend of mine a while back and he walked around all day the next day in shock, shaking his head and muttering to himself "Angela Landsbury was hot?!?" I think I killed his *** life for the next few months!
Old 05-04-2005, 06:14 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Indian and Pakistani are probably the most common 'Asian' foods in the UK - in fact, they say that curry has overtaken roast beef as the national dish...

I have smaller balti dishes and find them invaluable - they go in the oven, can be used on the burners too...

'Indian' restaurants in the UK are generally staffed with Bangladeshi chefs - so that's why I mention Pakistani cuisine!
Old 05-04-2005, 11:14 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth
No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!

I remember I showed that movie to a male friend of mine a while back and he walked around all day the next day in shock, shaking his head and muttering to himself "Angela Landsbury was hot?!?" I think I killed his *** life for the next few months!
ROFLMAO!!!!!! ruth, that is too funny. poor guy...
Old 05-05-2005, 01:09 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Indian and Pakistani are probably the most common 'Asian' foods in the UK - in fact, they say that curry has overtaken roast beef as the national dish...

I have smaller balti dishes and find them invaluable - they go in the oven, can be used on the burners too...

'Indian' restaurants in the UK are generally staffed with Bangladeshi chefs - so that's why I mention Pakistani cuisine!

The Indian food I had in London was incomparable!
Old 05-07-2005, 12:59 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Woks, panko bread crumbs, soy sauce, NATTO,
Old 05-20-2005, 02:51 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I cook a lot of E. Indian food. My mother was raised in India, so we had a lot of it growing up. My 2 grown kids like it, too. Also do some Chinese and Filipino cooking. Have a grandson who lives in China and is a vegetarian. but I like some kind of meat in mine, so is a problem cooking when he visits. I have a rice cooker and use it a lot, as when I am cooking that is one less thing I need to watch.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:52 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Im glad you have a rice cooker... no quality is lost and it's just the most practical and lazy gadget I own, I use it on a nearly daily basis. Might I recomend at least one or two clay pots? Things stewed in them gain an amazing flavor, be it a good indian chick pea, greens and meat stew or some mexican "frijoles de olla". Im with these guy's on the wok, good knives, sushi mats and so on because they are all pretty cheap. Bamboo or pro steamers cost a tiny bit more but steamed veggies are really worth it.

For filipino cooking I recomend a nice paella pan (like a very flat and large cylinder) where you can stuff rice into with your seafoods and stock and let it do it's thing. Also a few tamarind packets really go a long way.

For chinese I cant live without my frying net.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:26 PM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Quote:
Singles out there, do you eat from your pot?

Sometimes.

ANd I do cook Asian food. No, I dont own a rice cooker.