"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
A 'hobo' dinner might work. I use burger, but you could use chicken. Slice a potato and an onion onto a big piece of foil, season well with salt and pepper, put your protein on top, and seal the packet. Cook til the potatoes are tender and the meat is done. Green peppers can go into this, too, or cheese.
That reminds me, I can fix baked potato and mashed potatoes too.

S hobo dinner is how I came up with my chicken and rice fish. I use chicken because it's the cheapest meat I can get. Leg quarters are 59¢/lb if I buy a 5 KB bag. Chicken gets old if you eat it twice a day. That's why I need variety. I can eat the same food day after day. I just need to be able to mix up the flavors. I used to eat bologna sandwiches 3 times a day for weeks at a time. My variety came from "mayonnaise or mustard" and " with cheese or without."

Old 06-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
Head Chef

Nifty looking device. Kinda like a 12 volt Crock Pot.
I would think most slow cooker recipes would work well with it.
Spices are what you like so experiment with them. As you use them they are a learning step for the next time.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Packets of dry gravy, sauces, and soup mixes might work with your cool little cooker. Just stir them into whatever you've got in there. Penzey's website can also give you an idea of how much spice to use.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
Head Chef

That's a nifty little cooking device!

Here's the results for a google search on Trucker Slow Cooker Recipes,
they might give you some ideas and tips.

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=t...w=1280&bih=695

This one might have some more recipe ideas..

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=t...w=1280&bih=695

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Nifty looking device. Kinda like a 12 volt Crock Pot.
That's essentially what it is.

Quote:
I would think most slow cooker recipes would work well with it.
They do as long as searing isn't required. I need to be able to toss everything in and let it go. Adapting quantities due to my limited capacity isn't too much of a problem. However, buying ingredients in the proper portions is. I have limited storage space on the truck. I'm slowly adding shelves and storage containers so that my left over ingredients don't just bounce around the cabinet.

Quote:
Spices are what you like so experiment with them. As you use them they are a learning step for the next time.
Not quite. I NEED spices. I can do without them if my food is already tasty. I don't care what's in it. I'll eat a rock if it taste good. Typically they need a little sauce. What's for dinner? Gravel au jus.

I agree that once I start working with them, I'll become familiar with how they taste and what quantity it takes. In the mean time, I don't want my food to be terrible. I'd rather not eat what the student (me) cooks.

I'm going to try some of the combos PAG suggested. Using soup or gravy mixes sounds good as well as easy. There will definitely be a new YouTube video once I get a couple more versions worked out.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
That's a nifty little cooking device!

Here's the results for a google search on Trucker Slow Cooker Recipes,
they might give you some ideas and tips.
I browsed through the search results. There were a few that I can use or adapt. Most of the recipes I saw required using 110v appliances plugged in to an inverter. One sit even showed them cooking on a stove top and that was a truck specific cooking site. When a recipe calls for frying, sautéing, or says "in a skillet," that's not for me. I can adapt just about any recipe for my "lunchbox cooker" as long as the prep is simple, precooking of meat isn't involved, and it doesn't have a long ingredient list.

I picked up a booklet of recipe cards from Walmart because it had several recipes I'm sure I can use. One of them us stuffed bell peppers. I'll have to cut the recipe in half but I'll give it a try.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's difficult to explain "how much" of something if we have no idea what types of foods you like and dislike. The recipes you have and have access to online tell you what spices to use for a certain flavor and an amount, you just need to adjust for the quantity you plan on the end. If a recipe serves 4 and asks for 1 teaspoon of "any"spice only use 1/4th teaspoon. This is not art, the artistry comes after when you decide that a half teaspoon of the spice would make the dish taste better to you or leaving it out altogether because you didn't care for the flavor. With this method, you food is edible and not overwhelming.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #18
Cook

Adapting from an existing recipe isn't too much problem. I just see too much of a difference between my chicken and rice and other recipes. I suspect it's a case of not seeing the forest for the trees. I'm basically asking what would YOU put in it and how much? In my chicken and rice recipe, I guess I end up with 3 to 4 cups of food that needs to be seasoned. I know that won't take much. If I'm using a seasoning mix, it's a no brainer. Add a little and taste. Add more if it's needed. It's the mixing of spices on my own that is the issue. Not being familiar with them, I'm afraid the balance on my first try will be too off to be appetizing. If I put in two spices, and need to increase one, which one is it? I just don't know what effect each spice has. Herbs I can deal with. It's the spices that get me. About the only thing I don't like is fennel. I can't stand it. I've had too many pizza's that had too much fennel in the sauce so not any at all is unappealing.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I take it you have not tasted your spices...pick two you would like to try. Hydrate 1/4 teaspoon in a little water and taste it...do you like that flavor? Mix them together, is it still appealing? This works for blends, too...taste them before adding to your food. Your wife most likely has a few spices hanging around so you don't have to run out and buy a bunch. Learnig the individual flavor of each spice is the best way to determine which is in a recipe that needs to be adjusted.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #20
Cook

I've tasted every single one of my spices. They are......

Salt
Pepper
Poultry Seasoning
Knorr Chicken Bouillon
Tony Cha here's Creole Seasoning

That's all I have. Even when I'm home, that's all I ever use. Tell me which spices I need to use and I'll get them. I'm making a stop at Walmart this afternoon.

Tags
cooking