Cooking aubergine in pasta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

textbook

Assistant Cook
I tried to cook aubergine with some onion chillis and added tomato sauce from jars. Do you cook the aubergines first and let them absorb the oil or throw them in the sauce and let them absorb the sauce?

Just don't know how you cook them I pasta dishes!

Pasta alla Norma

For 2:

1 large aubergine cut into sticks of about 1 1/2 inches.
Salt
olive oil
9floz tomato sauce, preferably home made
8oz spaghetti or penne, best quality - it makes a huge difference
4oz ricotta salata or feta cheese
fresh basil
peperoncino (chili pepper)
or black pepper

Salt the aubergine sticks and salt generously to get rid of the bitter juice.
Wash the aubergine pieces and pat dry with a clean towel.
Heat 1/2 inch olive oil (extra virgin if you prefer)and then fry the aubergine sticks until golden brown
Cook the pasta until al dente and drain the water off when the pasta is cooked
Heat the tomato sauce and toss the drain pasta in it, and then half the cheese and half the basil
Plate up
Arrange the aubergine sticks on top of the pile of pasta, and then the rest of the cheese and serve hot.

This is a traditional and classic Sicilian pasta dish from Catania on the eastern coast of Sicily the east, much beloved of Italians, but, deceptively simple to make, like many other renowned dishes in the world, you have to get it right!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Pasta alla Norma

For 2:

1 large aubergine cut into sticks of about 1 1/2 inches.
Salt
olive oil
9floz tomato sauce, preferably home made
8oz spaghetti or penne, best quality - it makes a huge difference
4oz ricotta salata or feta cheese
fresh basil
peperoncino (chili pepper)
or black pepper

Salt the aubergine sticks and salt generously to get rid of the bitter juice.
Wash the aubergine pieces and pat dry with a clean towel.
Heat 1/2 inch olive oil (extra virgin if you prefer)and then fry the aubergine sticks until golden brown
Cook the pasta until al dente and drain the water off when the pasta is cooked
Heat the tomato sauce and toss the drain pasta in it, and then half the cheese and half the basil
Plate up
Arrange the aubergine sticks on top of the pile of pasta, and then the rest of the cheese and serve hot.

This is a traditional and classic Sicilian pasta dish from Catania on the eastern coast of Sicily the east, much beloved of Italians, but, deceptively simple to make, like many other renowned dishes in the world, you have to get it right!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

+1! Love the stuff!:yum:

Great recipe there that I haven't tried before but I literally made some aubergine (or eggplant as we call it here) pasta yesterday. It was a bit simply but hearty for our Aussie winter. Simply cube the eggplant into bite sizes (can cut into discs if you get those small and thin ones) and fry off in a bit of olive oil seasoning generously with pepper and salt. After that, I tossed in some sliced roasted peppers (ones that are just in jars at Costco etc), once you get a nice bit of colour on the eggplants and most of the liquid from the peppers have evaporated, season with the herbs that you like (I added in chilli flakes at this stage but in retrospect I probably should have toasted them off first ??) then I'd reduce the canned tomato sauce and again seasoned to taste before slowly adding al dente pasta (I'm a sucker for tagliatelle but for this, I would suggest a ravioli of sorts to keep the bites a bit more uniform). Toss to coat generously and serve with some thick cut bread lightly toasted. I'll give Di Reston's recipe a go next time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom