"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 10-21-2004, 11:06 PM   #11
Here we are in October 2004 and these Aussie spices are just slowly coming on to the supermarket shelves. They possibly are available in specialty shops but these are far and few between. They are available in some of the little country towns, mainly sold to tourists. I agree that some of the new trendy restaurants are using them but the average Joe Blow Aussie would not know what to do with these "bush" spices and herbs. This is only my opinion on the usage and by no means suggests that one should not try them as I will certainly give them a go after only just recently seen them offered for sale. But at this stage I think it hardly plausible to call it Aussie cuisine. True Aussie cuisine is very simple. I could post recipes here and even though they are tasty dishes, one look at the simple ingredients would make most here shy away. With our multiculturalism here, most of our food could be called fusion food, as it is a mix of styles and flavours. THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION, others may well disagree. Kyles, expatriate, how about you?

Bye the bye, I have Lemon grass growing and also a Lemon Scented Tea tree, the leaves off the Tea Tree will knock the socks off the Lemon grass in any marinade or recipe calling for lemongrass.

WayneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 01:06 AM   #12
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to thier1754
Wayne: I appreciate your point of view! I will keep it in mind. We would love to feature some of your more simple, traditional recipes in that section of our site if you'd like to share. If you use some of the bush seasonings and want to pass on ideas for those, too, we'll be interested...

"I'm that fond o' my fiddle, I could sit in the inside o't, an' look oot."-- Peter Milne, famous Scot fiddler
thier1754 is offline   Reply With Quote