"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-09-2004, 11:52 AM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Cooking Australian/English Style

I tend to use a lot of fresh seasonal ingredients, which is not typical of English home cooking. A typical meal for me would be something like this

Chicken Kyles Style

In a large roasting pan throw in, two corasely chopped onions, two capsicums (peppers) coarsely chopped (preferably one yellow and one red), one chopped eggplant (aubergine), some new potatoes cut into wedges, and bake for twenty minutes at 200 degrees. Remove from oven and lay two chicken breasts on top. Season with favourite spice mix (Aussie Bush Dust is one of my favourites) and bake for another twenty minutes.

Serve with freshly baked bread(hand kneaded bread - see my posts on kitchen aid mixers on another post)

I shop nearly always at our local market
http://www.burymarket.com/

Or at Ramsbottom's farmers market once a month.
http://www.therossendalefreepress.co...le_id=735.html

I can't remember the last time I went to a supermarket! I bought two squid today, and really grossed Colin out while I was cleaning them!!!

Old 10-09-2004, 12:46 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to thier1754
Kyles, your post reminds me of my middle son, Andrew, who used to fish for, clean, and cook squid for us. Fun times! He's still my cook of the three boys/men.

Tell me about Bush Dust. Should we carry it online???

Old 10-09-2004, 05:40 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

Yipee, you are back!

Your recipe sounds lovely, but I'm a bit concerned with the 200 degrees... that can't be farenheit? Please advise!

If it wouldn't be a bother, please post, now and then, more of your meals - I know we will all appreciate them!

Thank you so much!
Old 10-09-2004, 06:01 PM   #4
Certified Executive Chef

Kyles, I really loved bangers when I was in London. I used to find them in an English market when I lived in California, now in Eugene, Oregon I cannot find them. I learned about them through a friend of mine who lives in Wembledon.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:55 PM   #5
Head Chef

I'm a celsius girl, so it's 200 degrees celsius, sorry for the confusion!!!

I like good English sausages, a lot that we get here are awful, full of fillers and fat. I would love to make my own, but don't have the equipment or the patience!! We have some lovely butchers in our village, and it's the farmers market tomorrow!!!! I wish I could send you some!!!
Old 10-09-2004, 07:19 PM   #6
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles
I'm a celsius girl, so it's 200 degrees celsius, sorry for the confusion!!!

I like good English sausages, a lot that we get here are awful, full of fillers and fat. I would love to make my own, but don't have the equipment or the patience!! We have some lovely butchers in our village, and it's the farmers market tomorrow!!!! I wish I could send you some!!!
Me too, thanks for the thought. Maybe I will get back to London again, my cousins daughter and family live there.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:24 PM   #7
Head Chef

Bizarrely I have never been to London :oops: It's only three hours away by train, so I am not sure what my excuse is!!! I have travelled quite a bit in England, but I don't like big cities particularly and have stuck to countryside and seaside. My next trip will be to Edinburgh, with any luck!

I want to go shopping here:- http://www.valvonacrolla.co.uk/html/aboutus.html
Old 10-11-2004, 03:46 PM   #8
Senior Cook

So, what is Aussie Bush Dust?

If you want to make your own sausages, you can start here http://www.sausagemaking.org/forum/. It is not as bad as you think.

I know, because if I want to eat sausages any more, I have to make them myself. Still got some way to go yet though.

Do you really think that the readers of this forum are up to genuine English home cooking?

Would'nt a health warning be advisable?
Old 10-11-2004, 04:30 PM   #9
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream
So, what is Aussie Bush Dust?
Bush Dust: A fine blend of oregano, garlic, paprika, pepper, celery, onion, parsley, rosemary, lemon pepper, marjoram & nutmeg...
Old 10-21-2004, 10:11 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to thier1754
Aussie seasonings/bush dust

Hi, all:

Since I was last here on this thread, I've brought in a new section to our site, and it includes some wonderful Aussie seasonings. The new section is here:

http://www.thewhitewhale.com/nwbricks.htm
and the seasonings are here:
http://www.thewhitewhale.com/nwfoodcherikoff.htm

Let me know what you think if you decide to try some! I'm looking for more additions to this Northwest section, too, so fire away with suggestions. It was this thread that led me to hunting down Cherikoff's, so I really do listen to your ideas, guys... :D