"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-11-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3
Exclamation Cooking beef roast for wife's birthday (now) - HELP!!!

Hi,
I bought a 1.5kg outside round roast to cook for my wife's birthday (today) and froze it immediately when I brought it home a week ago. I thawed it in the fridge overnight but it still was frozen today so I put it in hot water (still in it's wrapper) for about 35 mins to thaw it out (seemed to work just fine).

Anyway, I'm in the middle of cooking it but in the water there is this "scum" which looks like gray cobwebs. I've cooked roasts before (a few) and never seen this.

Does anyone know what this "scum" is and if it's safe to eat? I'm about 1.5 hours into cooking this and would like to know soon since if something is wrong I'd have to trash that and order out (or something ).

I'll try to attach a picture of it but since I'm new I don't know if the forums will permit new members to post attachments.

Thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roastScum.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	3000  
__________________

__________________
BusyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well, Rule #1, #2, and #3 is - Never, ever, ever, thaw something in hot water. Always use cold water. Cold water is still warmer than "frozen".

I, personally, wouldn't eat it but that's just me.

You say "in the water" but your picture shows "on the grill"

I'm confused. When was it cooking in the water? Meats and poultry will produce "scum", which is just that, scum. It should be skimmed off and thrown out. But, like I said, your picture shows "on the grill".
__________________

__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBee View Post
Hi,
I bought a 1.5kg outside round roast to cook for my wife's birthday (today) and froze it immediately when I brought it home a week ago. I thawed it in the fridge overnight but it still was frozen today so I put it in hot water (still in it's wrapper) for about 35 mins to thaw it out (seemed to work just fine).

Anyway, I'm in the middle of cooking it but in the water there is this "scum" which looks like gray cobwebs. I've cooked roasts before (a few) and never seen this.

Does anyone know what this "scum" is and if it's safe to eat? I'm about 1.5 hours into cooking this and would like to know soon since if something is wrong I'd have to trash that and order out (or something ).

I'll try to attach a picture of it but since I'm new I don't know if the forums will permit new members to post attachments.

Thanks in advance
That scum is natural, and you see it very often when boiling chicken. It’s basically blood proteins and fat. A natural part of the meat, so nothing to worry about. Since this was frozen before and then thawed for cooking, the “liquid” in the meat is a bit more mobile so this is to be expected. No worries; it’s natural.

You want to skim that off and trash it though or it will taint your sauce and dish.
__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Well, Rule #1, #2, and #3 is - Never, ever, ever, thaw something in hot water. Always use cold water. Cold water is still warmer than "frozen".

I, personally, wouldn't eat it but that's just me.

You say "in the water" but your picture shows "on the grill"

I'm confused. When was it cooking in the water? Meats and poultry will produce "scum", which is just that, scum. It should be skimmed off and thrown out. But, like I said, your picture shows "on the grill".
It appears to be on a meat rack inside a roaster with liquid added.
__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3
It's actually throughout the water but just "clung" to the rack - which is what the instructions said to use, a rack so I bought a pot that came with one :/

I suppose I put too much water in - it said "1cm of water" but it didn't state whether the bottom of the meat should be covered in 1cm of water (which is what I assumed, and did).

The rack and pot was clean (I scrubbed it well as I'm a bit of a clean freak).

Perhaps thawing it in the hot water was a factor in the "scum"? Because I've never seen this before cooking a roast (and I've always bought the same type).

Anyway, I guess I can just skim it off, correct? The roast smells good. I was just worried it had gone bad or something (even though I froze it immediately when I got home).

Thanks all for your replies :)
__________________
BusyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
I think you will be fine, but in future, use cold water to thaw the meat. Hot water is just not terribly safe. The microwave is a viable alternative, but you run the risk of cooking corners of the meat and generally not having it work as well. Enjoy your dinner. Happy Birthday to your wife.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #7
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3
Thanks all. Dinner was great and the wife loved it so I'm happy :)

PS - I didn't make any gravy due to the scum stuff - I bought instant gravy :D
__________________
BusyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:39 PM   #8
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Des Moines Iowa
Posts: 1,214
Next time feed it to your cat they love it
__________________
Cook with passion or don't cook at all
Dave Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:52 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
Next time feed it to your cat they love it
BusyBee - Dave is talking about the scum, not your roast
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:58 PM   #10
Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 51
Thank goodness, that seemed like an out-of-left-field comment otherwise...
__________________

__________________
Smylietron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.