Cooking Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are only two ways I like Spam. One is ground up with about 3 sweet pickles, then a little Miracle Whip mixed in, then used as a sandwich spread.

The other is cut in cubes and baked with sauerkraut.

I can't stand it any other way.

:) Barbara

fried for breakfast with eggs and toast. about 1/4 inch thick is good. it's just a ham loaf and pretty tasty. I like scrapple better.

Oh, dear, we need a thread on kimchee, obviously. I make a batch up just about every month. As for Spam, lived in Hawaii off & on for ten years. Spam with saimin. Spam skewers. Spam with eggs. Truth to tell, I really don't like the stuff. When we were on the road we went to Austin (MN, not TX!!!) to the Spam museum, then went for drinks after. At the local bar we joked about it. Our bartender (a thirtysomething woman) got to talking with us, and she said she thought that Hawaii being the largest consumer of Spam was a bit of propoganda they told kids there where it is made. Nope, they really DO eat a lot of it. #2 is Korea, hence the kimchee connection. For those who have slow computer (like me), so don't generally go searching on connections unless you're really dying of curiousity, kimchee is sort of Korean saurkraut. The most common is made with napa cabbage or bok choy, hot peppers, green onions, and garlic. But in Hawaii I even saw it made with potatoes. The peppers, onions and garlic are absolutely necessary, and you can use them to pickle any veg. Oh! Salt! Where is my mind? You usually salt and drain the veg first, then add the peppers, scallions, and garlic and age for a few days. My personal favorite is cucumber kimchee.

Alternate cubes of spam and chunks of pineaple on a skewer and grill, basting with the pineapple juice, until crispy and serve as an appetizor.
Julienne Spam into thin strips and fry in non-stick pan (no oil needed) until crispy and add to fritattas, omelets, or casseroles.
Spam "Lite" has less fat and sodium...you may like it better.

When we were kids, Mom would actually run Spam through her "food processor" (a sort of rotary food grater), then add miracle whip, pickle relish, onions, celery. It made a passable sandwich spread. OH, she put onion salt, celery salt, garlic salt and/or Lawry's -- one or a combination -- in most things. Tabasco for zip, and always, always fresh ground pepper, so I'm sure she added one of the above. She changed to the powders rather than salts as they became available, but when I was a kid, the salts were what was in the commissary, so that's what we had (and that's the why behind the Spam to begin with).

the only way i've ever had spam was with raw onions and spicy brown mustard on rye bread.

some of these suggestions sound good. i think i'll pick up a can the next time i see them on sale.

I'd prepare Spam by packing it's little suitcase, then I'd take it to the airport and get it a ticket to somewhere far, far away from me:LOL:
Sorry, maybe you can tell I'm not a big Spam person

Oh SPAM™! Oh SPAM™! Gourmet delight!
My food by day, my dreams by night.
To carve, to slice, to dice you up -
pureed in a blender and sipped from a cup.

What shining deity from Olympus knelt
down to the earth and hog butt smelt?
Creating then man's eternal desire
for swine entrails congealed by fire.

On some corporate farm, a pig has died.
Eyes, tongue, and snout end up inside
that cube of SPAM™ hidden in the can
I now hold in my trembling hand.

More than mere food, SPAM™ is for me
a hedonistic expression of gluttonous glee.
Mottled with pork fat, the pink cube engrosses.
My mouth takes it in, my intestine disposes.

Long have my arteries clogged to the sound
of sizzling SPAM™ when there's no one around -
furtively chewing or swallowing whole.
Triple bypass by forty, my medical goal.

Other processed meat products I've tried or declined
Vienna Sausages, Treet, even pig's feet in brine.
Though each may be tasty in different ways,
none matches SPAM™ for gelatinous glaze.

That glistening pinkness beckons me
with gristle, fat, and BHT.
Oh SPAM™! Oh SPAM™! - the taste, the smell!
The sacred meat product, from Hormel.

And now for a couple of recipes:

SPAM™ Croquettes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 12

Ingredients
- 1 SPAM® Classic (12-ounce) can flaked
- 3/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs divided
- 1/3 cup minced celery
- 1/3 cup minced green onion
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup minced parsley or cilantro
- 1/4 cup CARAPELLI® Light Olive Oil
- Salsa

Directions:
Combine SPAM®, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, celery, green onions, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, and parsley. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Place remaining bread crumbs in shallow dish. Form 2 tablespoons SPAM™ mixture into patties 1/2-inch thick. Coat with bread crumbs and fry until golden brown on both sides. Serve warm with salsa.

SPAM™ Seven Layer Dip

Ingredients
- 1 can SPAM® luncheon meat (12-ounce), diced
- 1 package taco seasoning (1.25-ounce)
- 1 can refried beans (15-ounce)
- 1/2 can black beans (15-ounce), drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar & Monterey Jack cheeses
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 can sliced ripe olives (2.25-ounce)
- Salsa
- Tortilla chips

Directions:
Heat oven to 350ºF. In large skillet, sauté SPAM® until lightly browned.
Add taco seasoning as package directs. Meanwhile, spread refried beans in the bottom of 12-inch pizza pan.
Layer SPAM®, black beans and cheese in pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted.
Drizzle sour cream over the top and sprinkle with green onions and sliced ripe olives.
Serve with salsa.

Ahh... this thread has been both frightening and enlightening.

I think I would go for fried rice with spam... cubes of crispy fried spam with vegetables mixed in with rice.

Every time I hear the word 'Spam' I think of the Monty Python Spam sketch - from about 1970.... and the Spam Song.

Did you know that the MP spam sketch is why unsolicited junk mail on the interet is called Spam?!!! The useless info that one gathers.....

From Wikipedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Terry Jones, Eric Idle and Graham Chapman in the Monty Python skit "Spam."

Spam is a popular Monty Python sketch, first broadcast in 1970. In the sketch, two customers are trying to order a breakfast without SPAM from a menu which includes the processed meat product in every entree. The term spam (in electronic communication) is derived from this sketch.

It features Terry Jones as the waitress, Eric Idle as Mr Bun and Graham Chapman as Mrs Bun. The televised skit also featured John Cleese as "The Hungarian", but this part was left out of audio recordings of the sketch.

Only two minutes long, it builds up into a semi-argument between the waitress who is offering spam and only spam, and Mrs Bun who does not want it. Not even the "Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam."

Waitress: (brightly) "Well, there's spam, egg, sausage, and spam, that's not got much spam in it." Mrs Bun: (exasperated) "I don't want any spam!" Mr Bun attempts to mollify his wife:

Mr Bun: "Don't make a fuss, dear. I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam, and spam." Waitress: "Baked beans are off." Mr Bun: (to Waitress) "Well, can I have spam instead?" Waitress: "You mean spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, and spam?" At several points a group of Vikings in the cafe drown out all conversation by loudly singing a song about "Spam, lovely spam, wonderful spam." They are interrupted by the waitress many times, but resume singing more and more loudly until at last the song reaches an operatic climax.

The sketch was the final sketch of the 25th show of Monty Python's Flying Circus, and was first aired December 15, 1970. Despite its shortness, the sketch became immensely popular. The word "Spam" is mentioned 94 times.

Oddly enough, the first two items mentioned from the menu do not contain spam, specifically "Egg and Bacon" and "Egg, Sausage, and Bacon."

Spam was one of the few meats excluded from the British food rationing that began in World War II and continued for a number of years after the war and the British grew heartily tired of it, hence the sketch.

The phenomenon, some years later, of marketers drowning out discourse by flooding Usenet newsgroups and individuals' email addresses with junk advertising messages was named spamming after this sketch.

Back
Top Bottom