"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 07-21-2005, 08:32 AM   #31
Master Chef
And now for a couple of recipes:

SPAM™ Croquettes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 12

- 1 SPAM® Classic (12-ounce) can flaked
- 3/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs divided
- 1/3 cup minced celery
- 1/3 cup minced green onion
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup minced parsley or cilantro
- 1/4 cup CARAPELLI® Light Olive Oil
- Salsa

Combine SPAM®, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, celery, green onions, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, and parsley. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Place remaining bread crumbs in shallow dish. Form 2 tablespoons SPAM™ mixture into patties 1/2-inch thick. Coat with bread crumbs and fry until golden brown on both sides. Serve warm with salsa.

SPAM™ Seven Layer Dip

- 1 can SPAM® luncheon meat (12-ounce), diced
- 1 package taco seasoning (1.25-ounce)
- 1 can refried beans (15-ounce)
- 1/2 can black beans (15-ounce), drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar & Monterey Jack cheeses
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 can sliced ripe olives (2.25-ounce)
- Salsa
- Tortilla chips

Heat oven to 350ºF. In large skillet, sauté SPAM® until lightly browned.
Add taco seasoning as package directs. Meanwhile, spread refried beans in the bottom of 12-inch pizza pan.
Layer SPAM®, black beans and cheese in pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted.
Drizzle sour cream over the top and sprinkle with green onions and sliced ripe olives.
Serve with salsa.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:43 AM   #32
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Ahh... this thread has been both frightening and enlightening.

I think I would go for fried rice with spam... cubes of crispy fried spam with vegetables mixed in with rice.

My english, she's not so good... I meant to say I did it with the malice of forethought.
Lugaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:49 AM   #33
Executive Chef
Every time I hear the word 'Spam' I think of the Monty Python Spam sketch - from about 1970.... and the Spam Song.

Did you know that the MP spam sketch is why unsolicited junk mail on the interet is called Spam?!!! The useless info that one gathers.....

From Wikipedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Terry Jones, Eric Idle and Graham Chapman in the Monty Python skit "Spam."

Spam is a popular Monty Python sketch, first broadcast in 1970. In the sketch, two customers are trying to order a breakfast without SPAM from a menu which includes the processed meat product in every entree. The term spam (in electronic communication) is derived from this sketch.

It features Terry Jones as the waitress, Eric Idle as Mr Bun and Graham Chapman as Mrs Bun. The televised skit also featured John Cleese as "The Hungarian", but this part was left out of audio recordings of the sketch.

Only two minutes long, it builds up into a semi-argument between the waitress who is offering spam and only spam, and Mrs Bun who does not want it. Not even the "Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam."

Waitress: (brightly) "Well, there's spam, egg, sausage, and spam, that's not got much spam in it." Mrs Bun: (exasperated) "I don't want any spam!" Mr Bun attempts to mollify his wife:

Mr Bun: "Don't make a fuss, dear. I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam, and spam." Waitress: "Baked beans are off." Mr Bun: (to Waitress) "Well, can I have spam instead?" Waitress: "You mean spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, and spam?" At several points a group of Vikings in the cafe drown out all conversation by loudly singing a song about "Spam, lovely spam, wonderful spam." They are interrupted by the waitress many times, but resume singing more and more loudly until at last the song reaches an operatic climax.

The sketch was the final sketch of the 25th show of Monty Python's Flying Circus, and was first aired December 15, 1970. Despite its shortness, the sketch became immensely popular. The word "Spam" is mentioned 94 times.

Oddly enough, the first two items mentioned from the menu do not contain spam, specifically "Egg and Bacon" and "Egg, Sausage, and Bacon."

Spam was one of the few meats excluded from the British food rationing that began in World War II and continued for a number of years after the war and the British grew heartily tired of it, hence the sketch.

The phenomenon, some years later, of marketers drowning out discourse by flooding Usenet newsgroups and individuals' email addresses with junk advertising messages was named spamming after this sketch.

Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote