Cooking community in your town as a platform to share

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cinisajoy--- Yes i've tripled checked and got some legal advice. We've been under development for almost 8 months and we are about to release soon!!
I think I understand you now.
You are developing the app. So your legal experts have told you that because you are just doing the software you will not be liable for people that use this app.

Ok, how are you going to find chefs? How will you make sure they are legitimate?
To me, you are putting this together. Therefore all responsibility can potentially fall back on you.
I would be very careful with my wording and even then no guarantees on the potential law suits.

By the way, I don't know many professional chefs that would want to spend their very few off hours cooking for others.

Now this is the burning question. How will you get paid?

cinisajoy, I think the premise of Daniel's project is to have home cooks like us DCers here sell food to strangers via his app, not "fine chefs". Although I have no doubt that any one of us could choose to be a "fine chef" and has just not been discovered yet. ;)

Over the last couple of years I've thought this "cooking for others" might be a great thing. I would love to share a meal's worth of food (or even just an entree) with someone. BUT my idea actually was to see if our church would be interested in families in need being supported by cooks who have a little something extra in their pantry that they would like to share. Simple as that.

I think that we should have the option to choose whatever we want to eat! I mean, it's optional you know. I think we could eat better if we get our food from someone that is already cooking for themselves. not to mention is fresher.......................I just went ahead and did it anyways! we are building the platform already and ready to release soon!
Sure, we should have options. But "options" and "legal" don't always go hand-in-hand. As others have pointed out, your platform could very well be sitting on legal quicksand.

Btw if we keep getting our food from fast food establishment, do we really know what's going on behind the kitchen?...
I'm not sure this idea would be widely appealing to the Fast Food set. While I enjoy a rare foray into a fast-food place, I personally feel the mind-set of someone who regularly uses those establishments as a main source of their nutrition just might be reluctant to buy food that is unfamiliar to them. "Unfamiliar" as in "home-cooked". :D

As the app developer you may not be liable but if you certify or otherwise endorse the cooks you are going beyond app development to a link in the food supply chain. Then you are liable.

CG, I love your idea.
I also agree if someone is used to fast food, they generally don't want dolmades or beef stroganoff or rouladen or good mexican food or a good chicken fried steak or Coq a vin.
Two different mind sets.
I like you rarely do fast food. I know people that live on fast food and they scoff at a real meal.

Thank you guys! Yes we are developing the entire platform. Just needed to get some feedback from a chef community, whether people is reluctant to be connected with someone to cook for them, that's up to them!!! I'd like to invite you guys to check out our website, watch our video and sign up for those who are interested.

HitMeUpp

And check out our fb page at https://www.facebook.com/hitmeupp

You can post concerns and your feedbacks on this page and I'd be gals to answer your questions.

Washing your hands without soap doesn't clean your hands sufficiently to prepare food, and as soon as you rinsed off the raw chicken, you contaminated your entire sink. And that's just two things that jumped up and smacked me in the face. Someone needs to take a ServSafe Food Handler class!

Last edited:
This is just a raw version of what's behind the process, we didn't show the whole thing in the way i used soap, or cleaned the sink after I rinsed off the chicken breast. If I was to post that it'll take up to 1 hour of the process before i started cooking... Btw I'm not here to give you false advertisement of what goes behind. This is the way most people COOK at their own kitchen for their family!!!! This is a meal sharing platform not a fast food establishment. This is the way average people usually do to cook for themselves. Now I encourage you to look at what food establishment do in the kitchen and i promise you the count of wrong things they're doing is limitless....

We are making a few changes on the website, if you get a dark screen at the beginning you should be able to play a video before you click on the website!!

Let me know

In addition to the obvious food safety issues shown, the person in the video does not impress me with his cooking skills.

I'm not sure why anyone would buy a meal from a perfect stranger.

(1) You have no idea if they actually can cook. Video sort of makes that point.
(2) You have no idea if they understand food safety or properly sourcing quality ingredients.
(3) You have no idea if they are trustworthy.
(4) You have no idea if they carry commercial liability insurance if they sicken or injure you.

This is the way most people COOK at their own kitchen for their family!!!!

LunAUDiUfuh4kC32b2IGzuRqpsKk1kWkGaVKp_fhvJcnjTipM0BaM3cPWKsTsjhINPWq=s85

Don't tell me that is how the average person cooks at home. I cook for a living, I cook for my family, and I cook for myself, and I have to tell you that I have the cleanest hands in the entire county! If I use the bathroom, I wash my hands, if I scratch my head, I wash my hands. If I scratch my nose, I wash my hands. If I blow my nose, I wash my hands. If I cut my finger, I make sure the bleeding has stopped, I put a band-aid on it, then I wash my hands!

If I feed the cat, I wash my hands, if I pet the cat I wash my hands. If I clean the litter box, I wash my hands, twice!

If I handle raw meat, I wash my hands, and I would never, ever, wash raw meat, especially poultry, in my kitchen sink! In fact, I don't wash it at all. It's already been washed at the packing plant. I remove it from the packaging, pat it dry with paper towels, then prepare it for cooking.

Like I said, take a ServSafe Food Handler class! BTW, your knives are in desperate need of sharpening!

Last edited:
I decided to look at the video.
Let's see no soap, you used the same knife and cutting board for the chicken and then the vegetables. Again no soap.
That video did nothing to help your cause.
Now that may be the way you cook but it is not the way most people cook.
Now I will use the same cutting board if I am doing the vegetables first. But not the other way around.

Now we are back to how can/will you verify that the actual chefs know what they are doing?
What is your background in food safety?

Hello y'all,

I need some help from this community to get some feedback for our platform. I'm just going to go ahead and tell you that I love cooking for others so i went ahead and quit my 9-5 job to start building this awesome platform for everyone that is interested! We are almost there to release it

We are trying to encourage people to start sharing authentic dishes and recipes around their community for those people that would love to pay you for your authentic dishes. We are location based so you'd have to deliver it!! you can get some extra cash in your pocket

We are trying to create this community in real-time and bring it to you because We believe that we can have an alternative to traditional fast food and unhealthy processed food!! + Why not show off our skills and build communities in our local areas! I would like to know if this is something that you guys would ever use in your community? We are making it easy for everyone to start offering and displaying their dishes on our mobile platform (iOS and Android) We are almost there, but I need your help to get some feedback from another cooking community. I know that in my town there's at least 15 People that will love sharing what they make around our little town. Let me know your thoughts and be brutally honest!! This forum was recommended to me by some of my friend so I went ahead and just posted the question!! I'd love to hear from you guys! :chef::chef:

I read this same post on ChefTalk as well...

Folks, this person is only looking for the answers they want to hear. It is obvious they wish to ignore reality as they have already put the cart before the horse. Seeking input after the fact seems a clueless exercise. IMO, these folks will only "get it", after wasting their time and money.:ohmy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom