Cooking community in your town as a platform to share

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DANIEL P

Assistant Cook
Hello y'all,

I need some help from this community to get some feedback for our platform. I'm just going to go ahead and tell you that I love cooking for others so i went ahead and quit my 9-5 job to start building this awesome platform for everyone that is interested! We are almost there to release it

We are trying to encourage people to start sharing authentic dishes and recipes around their community for those people that would love to pay you for your authentic dishes. We are location based so you'd have to deliver it!! you can get some extra cash in your pocket

We are trying to create this community in real-time and bring it to you because We believe that we can have an alternative to traditional fast food and unhealthy processed food!! + Why not show off our skills and build communities in our local areas! I would like to know if this is something that you guys would ever use in your community? We are making it easy for everyone to start offering and displaying their dishes on our mobile platform (iOS and Android) We are almost there, but I need your help to get some feedback from another cooking community. I know that in my town there's at least 15 People that will love sharing what they make around our little town. Let me know your thoughts and be brutally honest!! This forum was recommended to me by some of my friend so I went ahead and just posted the question!! I'd love to hear from you guys! :chef::chef:

There have been endless discussions about this business model on other cooking sites, like Chowhound and Serious Eats.

It presents a vast array of serious legal and liability issues that need to be addressed, beyond the basic issue of whether people would buy food cooked by a stranger in a strange kitchen.

Here is an article about an app that is trying that idea using chefs. ‘Uber of Home Cooking’ Allows User to Buy and Sell Homemade Meals | FWx

Notice the part about " Additionally, it also seems to operate– much like Airbnb and Uber –in a bit of a legal gray area. Foodie Shares seem to hope that their status as a “private community” will help circumvent any issues from the health department."

Here is an article about an app that is trying that idea using chefs. ‘Uber of Home Cooking’ Allows User to Buy and Sell Homemade Meals | FWx

Notice the part about " Additionally, it also seems to operate– much like Airbnb and Uber –in a bit of a legal gray area. Foodie Shares seem to hope that their status as a “private community” will help circumvent any issues from the health department."
Note the hope part.

The thing is that in most if not all communities "ALL food for sale" kitchens have to be approved by the county health department and inspected on a regular basis.
This includes food trucks.

I do not think it is possible to circumvent health codes.

Looked at that article. Hope no one gets sick.

Last edited:
I think that we should have the option to choose whatever we want to eat! I mean, it's optional you know. I think we could eat better if we get our food from someone that is already cooking for themselves. not to mention is fresher. I don't think someone would feed themselves with something that they won't eat.... .

@Powerplantop -- You're right its like a legal gray area which we've already discussed and got some legal help as well!

I just went ahead and did it anyways! we are building the platform already and ready to release soon!

Btw if we keep getting our food from fast food establishment, do we really know what's going on behind the kitchen? We rely on health inspectors but they can't inspect everything that is happening 24/7... so why not do it differently...

Not to mention that the people who cook the food will likely have to take out a lot of commercial liability insurance.

And who knows if they can cook or know anything about food safety?

I think that we should have the option to choose whatever we want to eat! I mean, it's optional you know. I think we could eat better if we get our food from someone that is already cooking for themselves. not to mention is fresher. I don't think someone would feed themselves with something that they won't eat.... .

@Powerplantop -- You're right its like a legal gray area which we've already discussed and got some legal help as well!

I just went ahead and did it anyways! we are building the platform already and ready to release soon!
Legalities aside, rules aside.
Can you guarantee that the food will come from a clean, safe kitchen?
Also can you guarantee the food will be exactly what the chef will be?

Now yes, if I knew a Greek in town, I would gladly buy the foods they need and pay for them to fix me a gyro.

I mean, when you get in a regular taxi do they guarantee you that you'll arrive safely? VS using uber.... There's a lot of barriers but I believe that decentralization gives you access to a wider spectrum. Yes there's laws and such but shouldn't we able to make our own decisions.. You have the power to choose whether you go to your regular establishment or have the option to get it from someone privately

I think companies like Blue Apron have the right idea. They give you the recipe and the raw ingredients and you cook the meal your own self.

I mean, when you get in a regular taxi do they guarantee you that you'll arrive safely? VS using uber.... There's a lot of barriers but I believe that decentralization gives you access to a wider spectrum. Yes there's laws and such but shouldn't we able to make our own decisions.. You have the power to choose whether you go to your regular establishment or have the option to get it from someone privately

Sure, it's easy to say we should be able to choose and make our own decisions. Till someone gets sick or dies, and then you want to know why that kitchen wasn't inspected or that food wasn't fresh enough.

Check out a book called "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair. There's are good reasons for laws and regulations regarding food preparation and delivery.

Yeah you're right! We are just building the platforms as a recreational place for people who loves cooking for others, aspiring chefs mostly! We'll have a rating system. I'm not saying that fixes everything but at least gives you some perspective! I'm just trying to help those that always dreamt about having a restaurant or opening up their own business just like myself. Honestly the investment to do such a thing is pretty high and the food industry is pretty competitive.. most of the restaurants, mostly the newly ones go out of business not because of the quality nor service but because they have to test the market in their own town first and see what sells and what not. We are making it easier for those people to test the market with no hefty upfront cost and to see if people really like what they make so, later on they can make a wise decision to open up the restaurant and take a risk***!!!

Yes,
I should be able to choose where I want to eat and I have that option. I mean if I want to pay the darling Mexican woman next door to make me tortillas that is my choice but she isn't making them to sell to the general public. There is a big difference.

PS: For corn tortillas, she and every other neighbor recommended the nearest grocery store.

Also, what if a person offers a gluten free tortllas but has recently made regular flour tortillas on that same surface. Can you as the owner of the site guarantee there will be no cross contamination? Are you going to pay that person's medical bills if they have an allergic reaction?

You're totally right! the only difference is that each person that offers their dishes on the platform will have a limited quantity to offer each day. they're not feeding the masses!!!

They'll have to specify what's their process once they signed up.

We are not liable for any incidents that might happen! This is at your own risk. You should know better! this is a recreational platform

Guys I love your feedback keep them coming!!! This is really important for us and I take it as constructive criticism !!!

We are not liable for any incidents that might happen! This is at your own risk. You should know better! this is a recreational platform

Don't be so sure of that.

You face liability as do the people who are cooking the food.

Believe me, if something goes seriously wrong you'll get sued.

You're totally right! the only difference is that each person that offers their dishes on the platform will have a limited quantity to offer each day. they're not feeding the masses!!!

They'll have to specify what's their process once they signed up.

You might want to triple check this one.
Ok yes, if you had people under you selling widgets you would not be liable.
When it comes to public health issues, the laws are much stricter.
No, it is not at my own risk as people expect certain standards to be upheld when it comes to food.
Oh and you better hope Atlanta never gets called.
A bad potluck is one thing, a bad paid for experience is another.
I also recommend reading "The Jungle".

Have you even called your local health department?

If you wanted to exchange food it would be one thing but you are involving cash.

Cinisajoy--- Yes i've tripled checked and got some legal advice. We've been under development for almost 8 months and we are about to release soon!!

As soon as money changes hands, it's no longer recreational - it's commerce. And when you're publicly advertising this commercial opportunity via an app? Even more so.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom