Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
In the case of the boiling soup left on the burner for days, this was a common practice when people had to cook over a hearth. The food would stay safe because it was never allowed to cool to unsafe temps. The problem with boiling something after microbes have grown in them is that the microbes often put dangerous substances into the soup. It's not the botulism organism that hurts us, for instance. It's the poison they secrete that will kill us. The same is true of many micro-organisms. Boiling kills the critters, but not the dangerous compounds they have secreted into the food.
Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Thank you Goodweed for making that so clear
. I get crazy with the chances taken with food poisoning. Like I said, knocking on death's door makes one really serious about this issue.
BTW, kudo's to you Rocky for being a responsible cook, and keeping your family safe from harm.