Cooking disaster, grrrr...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did the same thing recently, but got up at 6am and boiled the stock at a hard boil for 10 minutes or more. Everything was fine ..... The stock made delicious soup and guess what? We're still alive. My grandfather always keep a pot of soup at a slow simmer on the back of the stove. He added to it each day. We ate from that pot every day and no one ever got sick (my grandfather lived to 103!). Just lucky or ........?

Not good. Boiling doesn't make it safe

In the case of the boiling soup left on the burner for days, this was a common practice when people had to cook over a hearth. The food would stay safe because it was never allowed to cool to unsafe temps. The problem with boiling something after microbes have grown in them is that the microbes often put dangerous substances into the soup. It's not the botulism organism that hurts us, for instance. It's the poison they secrete that will kill us. The same is true of many micro-organisms. Boiling kills the critters, but not the dangerous compounds they have secreted into the food.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

In the case of the boiling soup left on the burner for days, this was a common practice when people had to cook over a hearth. The food would stay safe because it was never allowed to cool to unsafe temps. The problem with boiling something after microbes have grown in them is that the microbes often put dangerous substances into the soup. It's not the botulism organism that hurts us, for instance. It's the poison they secrete that will kill us. The same is true of many micro-organisms. Boiling kills the critters, but not the dangerous compounds they have secreted into the food.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thank you Goodweed for making that so clear. I get crazy with the chances taken with food poisoning. Like I said, knocking on death's door makes one really serious about this issue.

BTW, kudo's to you Rocky for being a responsible cook, and keeping your family safe from harm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom