Cooking disaster, grrrr...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Not really disasterous proportions but still a major bummer. I spent over two hours simmering turkey bones on the stove last night, only to go to bed and forget to strain and refrigerate the stock. I turned it off and was waiting for it to cool before finishing off and oops. I woke up this morning to find the pot still on the stove with the cold stock, lots of it, too. Had to pour it out. It had been there for over 10 hours and I didn't want to take the chance. It was smelling sooo good last night. I had a leek some celery and some bay leaves in it. I was looking forward to turkey rice soup. WAAAAAHHH! :mad::(

Last edited:
ohhh I feel your pain...turkey rice soup sure does sound good right about now. But you did the right thing I think.:unhappy:

If you have animals they would love for you to have mixed it in with their food...or possibly have donated it to the animal shelter...maybe next time

Last edited:
If it was left out all night I wouldn't even take a chance on giving it to the dogs. Just as dangerous for them as for us humans.

Its long gone. I got rid of the evidence quickly so it wouldn't remind me of how much of a dolt I am. Oh, well, I shouldn't be so hard on myself. I had some distractions. Like a game of Clue(The Office Version) with my wife and daughter, some Wii, my neighbor shooting off fireworks that sounded like a shotgun a few feet from my yard, a dog walk....I guess with all of the excitement, and a couple of cold beer, I mozied off to beddy bye, without giving it a second thought.:LOL:

If it is any consolation, the bacteria will be good for my septic tank.:sick:

Last edited:
If I have left any food out I leave a light on in the kitchen to force me back in there to turn it off. Then I see the food left out and react.

Not really disasterous proportions but still a major bummer. I spent over two hours simmering turkey bones on the stove last night, only to go to bed and forget to strain and refrigerate the stock. I turned it off and was waiting for it to cool before finishing off and oops. I woke up this morning to find the pot still on the stove with the cold stock, lots of it, too. Had to pour it out. It had been there for over 10 hours and I didn't want to take the chance. It was smelling sooo good last night. I had a leek some celery and some bay leaves in it. I was looking forward to turkey rice soup. WAAAAAHHH! :mad::(

I recently did this with stock too!!! But I woke up around 2am and put it away... phew. I feel for ya though.

I set a timer for lots of cooking stuff that I would forget. I burnt a chicken stock. :LOL: :mad:

I use a timer a lot more now that I went to take a dish back into the kitchen at bedtime and found my toaster oven still on after several hours.

I'm not comfortable standing for long periods of time, so whenever I'm reheating something I put the heat on low medium and go sit down after setting the timer.

Andy, I really like your idea of using the light too, although I really need something else for when I take a nap. I just need to find a trigger to make myself actually check to make sure all is off and put away.

Last edited:
Yep. I'm a member of this club as well. Fortunately though, It's colder outside than in my refrigerator at this time of year. When I need to cool something, I set in in the snow in my yard. I know it will cool faster than in an ice bath, and be cold enough to be safe if I forget it. The downside to this, it must be something that freezes well, just in case.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I like the idea of you GN but, still if I ever have the chance to out it outside. I will have the timer as reminder that I still have a work to do. :D

Barbara, what a fantastic idea! Setting a timer on my phone would be perfect for me. I can't believe I never thought to do it, since I use a timer app all the time when I'm cooking.
My problem is out of sight, out of mind. Even though my dogs don't counter surf, I still set a pot of something in the microwave to cool just to get it off the counter, and sure enough, when I'm waking up the next day I'm thinking I never got it out to put in the fridge, lol. Next time I'm letting something cool a bit I'm going to set a timer on my phone. Even if I go to bed I will here it, since I'll have the phone with me.

So yeah, been there done that too, RL.

Great suggestion, Barbara.

Did the same thing recently, but got up at 6am and boiled the stock at a hard boil for 10 minutes or more. Everything was fine ..... The stock made delicious soup and guess what? We're still alive. My grandfather always keep a pot of soup at a slow simmer on the back of the stove. He added to it each day. We ate from that pot every day and no one ever got sick (my grandfather lived to 103!). Just lucky or ........?

Barbara, what a fantastic idea! Setting a timer on my phone would be perfect for me. I can't believe I never thought to do it, since I use a timer app all the time when I'm cooking.
My problem is out of sight, out of mind. Even though my dogs don't counter surf, I still set a pot of something in the microwave to cool just to get it off the counter, and sure enough, when I'm waking up the next day I'm thinking I never got it out to put in the fridge, lol. Next time I'm letting something cool a bit I'm going to set a timer on my phone. Even if I go to bed I will here it, since I'll have the phone with me.

So yeah, been there done that too, RL.

Great suggestion, Barbara.
Thanks! I don't trust my poor old brain for much anymore!

My kitchen can be so chilly that , well, I could probably use it! Not kidding. I wouldn't when I lived in Florida or Hawaii, but here I'd have a cup of it myself, then move on if I felt OK (seriously, I mean the fat would be solid on the top of the pot, I think my fridge is warmer). But I, too, hate to throw food out, especially when I've worked so hard.

Did the same thing recently, but got up at 6am and boiled the stock at a hard boil for 10 minutes or more. Everything was fine ..... The stock made delicious soup and guess what? We're still alive. My grandfather always keep a pot of soup at a slow simmer on the back of the stove. He added to it each day. We ate from that pot every day and no one ever got sick (my grandfather lived to 103!). Just lucky or ........?

You indeed were "just lucky" you're still alive Shelly, and your whole family too. Speaking as one who was hospitalized and nearly died from food poisoning, through no fault of my own, I think playing food Russian Roulette is as ridiculous as the half loaded gun.

Back
Top Bottom