Cooking for 12 people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elodo

Assistant Cook
Hi!

I'm a student and I'm 21 years old. Actually, I live in a student room with my two others roommates. We have a kitchen which is very small. For my birthday, I have invited twelve friends for an evening meal. I'd like cooking a good meal which will be different than daily pasta:chef:.

Do you have some ideas for me?

Thank you for your kind answer and your help!

Elodie

There are many TNT (Tried and True) recipes on this site. You can see the different forums on the TOP blue bar of every page. I would start with choosing a protein here: Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums and follow with Veggies, Desserts and the last forum which is a miscellaneous section with Ethnic Foods, Breads, etc.

Like Aunt Bea said, give us an idea of budget and what type of equipment you have and we can help much more.

Welcome to DC!

I agree with the others --- a little more information would be helpful and there are tons of great recipes on this site. If you have a crockpot or are able to borrow one, you might consider a crockpot dinner --- lots of good ones on this site. Good luck and Happy Birthday!

Welcome to DC! Crockpot is a great idea. You could do pulled pork, beef or chicken sandwiches, make some coleslaw to go with.

Yes, small dorm and small kitchen, 12 people. I'm thinking one pot meal as well. Here are some ideas for you.

1. Chili - everyone loves chili, either hot or medium spiced.
2. Baked beans with ham - purchase pre-cooked navy, red, or great northern
beans at the store. Flavor with onion, brown sugar, molasses, and cubes of
smokey ham.
3. Spanish Rice with Spanish Chorizo and summer squash
4. Baked fish and oven fried potatoes, with a cob salad
5. Fried Chicken, the Chief's way - involves baking in the oven to finish the
chicken and so many pieces can all be ready at the same time.
6. Smouldering Chicken - a recipe for those who like a mild heat in their chicken
7. New England Boiled Dinner
8. Sandwich Bar - Each guest brings one sandwich filling and you supply the
bread, lettuce and condiments. Everyone makes their own sandwiches.
9. Beef roulade with duxelle, bread dressing (think cooked Stove Top
Stuffing) filling for the roulade, with baked sweet potatoes
10. Pizza Hut (just kidding). Actually, a pre-made Wal Mart pizza has a very
nice crust, and is cheap. You simply purchase extra toppings, like thin-
sliced ham, pepperoni, bulk Italian sausage, mushrooms, black olives,
onion, etc. You then top the pizza with what you like, and bake it until
done.
11. Mulligan Stew - you really can't go wrong with a good stew.
12. BLT's or BLOT's using whole wheat or rye bread. The "O" in BLOT is for
sliced onion, so good. Simply pre-cook 3 lbs. of bacon before your
guests arrive, have the tomato cut, and the bread ready to toast. Again,
everyone makes their own sandwiches.

Should you want recipes for any of the above, just post which one or ones you've interested in. There are many here that will supply the recipe you need, except for the Smouldering chicken, my fried chicken (I have a seasoned flour recipe that is very good, but then, so do others here),and my own, prize winning white chili recipes, and I can provide those.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Since you don't want to be spending too much time in the kitchen (but more with your friends), I would opt for something that mostly takes care of itself in the oven.

How about a good casserole (e.g. using wine) with baked potatoes (or garlic bread) and then you could cook 2 different types of fresh veg on the hob?

Back
Top Bottom