"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
Cooking for 70 for under $70 help

Hello,

So ... the service club that I am in is going to serve a transitional house dinner. There will be about 70 people there. We would need to serve main course, dessert, and drink. Any ideas? I would like to stray away from our usual tomato sauce and spaghetti with salad.

Main course has to have vegetables in it.

masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Certified Cake Maniac

I am not sure you can do too much for $1.00 per person but you could try shepherd's pie You can find ground beef at a fairly cheap price in bulk and use frozen vegetables and mashed potatoes. As for a dessert, are there some people who could donate some baking such as squares and cookies? Fruit punch (frozen concentrate) is always good.

Hope that helps

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:49 AM   #3
Flour Child

^Shepherds Pie is an excellent suggestion, LPBeier

If you can find chicken and veggies on sale then
you're good to go with kabobs (pictured below).

I remember when I was in my early twenties and a newlywed, I made a chicken in onion gravy with mashed potatoes and brocolli that was budget friendly. I would take the skin off chicken pieces, sear on each side in a frying pan, pour Campbell's Cream of Onion soup (sometimes hard to find and must be Campbells brand) and simmer for 20 minutes. The juice of the chicken would mix with the soup and make a tasty gravy that hubby loved on mashed potatoes. Just don't salt it! Canned soup is already salty enough. If the gravy wasn't the right consistency then I would add water until it was (thinner gravy goes farther too). Since you're cooking for a large crowd you cooked sear all the chicken in a pan ahead of time and then place it in large casserole pans and cook in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes just prior to serving.

Use a grocery store card and grab their sale flyer in the front of the store and only buy what they have on sale using your discount card. I spent $40 dollars at the store last night and saved $20 using my store discount card.

Serve with Sweet Iced Tea...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kabobs.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	8045  

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Curried chicken on a bed of rice, fresh mixed greens salad with pineapple, sliced banana and red wine vinaigrette, and all of it sprinkled with toasted coconut.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Pulled pork sliders w/slaw & baked beans.

homemade icecream for dessert.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
Flour Child

Fruit Meringue Dessert:
...Make Meringue Nests and fill with 3-5 watermelon balls.
Garnish with a mint leaf.
...OR fill Meringue Nests with cooled vanilla pudding, then top with whipped cream and and a slice of strawberry standing up and poked in top. (now don't go making fun of "poked"...lol)

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

you can make a macaroni and veggie bake with brown cheese gravy with potato salad on the side.it's filling as well as delicious..for dessert,make a chocolate cake with strawberries or a meringue..a pink lemonade for a beverage. If you like any of my ideas,let me know and I will give you the recipes...all the best...
Old 04-24-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

hiya junior.
big al beat me to it. i was gonna suggest pulled pork. you can feed a lot of people with pork shoulders.
even though there's more waste, pork picnic shoulders are much cheaper than butts (roughly .79 to .99/lb vs. 2.99 to 3.99/lb), so that would be the way to go. you can add some cooked onions to help stretch it out a bit.

my other suggestion would be a pasta dish like linguini with clam sauce. very cheap if you use canned clams, and all else you'll need is butter, olive oil, garlic, parsley, and grated cheese. all inexpensive and easily obtained ingredients.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
hiya junior.
big al beat me to it. i was gonna suggest pulled pork. you can feed a lot of people with pork shoulders.
even though there's more waste, pork picnic shoulders are much cheaper than butts (roughly .79 to .99/lb vs. 2.99 to 3.99/lb), so that would be the way to go. you can add some cooked onions to help stretch it out a bit.

my other suggestion would be a pasta dish like linguini with clam sauce. very cheap if you use canned clams, and all else you'll need is butter, olive oil, garlic, parsley, and grated cheese. all inexpensive and easily obtained ingredients.
You pay $3-4/# for shoulders, boston butts? WOW!!! You guys must have really nice butts, BT. I think the most I ever paid was $1.10. I don't pay much attention to picnics cause I like the butts better, personal choice.

Brisket is another cheap cut that could be used for pulled beef, french dips, etc.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

yeah, they really rip you off for a nice butt around here, unless they're on sale. picnics are always cheap, but i agree, butts are better.

for feeding the masses, though, especially if you add bbq sauce, you can get away with picnics.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote