Cooking for Dummies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could also type in the term or cooking method in question into a google search, I also have a few cookbooks but can get lost pretty easily since I'm not familiar with all the terminology. I did many-a-google search for things I wasn't sure of in my cookbooks and my concoctions have all turned out pretty decent :) It may be a bit tougher to find cooking-specific information, but it's free! :)

First off, hello everyone! My name is Karilan, I'm 21 and in dire need of some cooking skills.
I've got a handful of cook books, but I've never taken a cooking class and neither of my parents taught me. What I'm looking for is a recommendation for a book that covers the absolute basics.
These books I have look nice and everything...but they assume I already know what they're talking about.
I get lost when they give instructions like "sautee" or "score fish" and amazingly: "pound chicken" (does chicken actually flatten out if I take a mallet to it?!)

Needless to say, I need some help! Does anyone know of a good book that teaches me all the little things?

Thank you in advance!

Just like your title - I have the book "Cooking For Dummies." My mom gave it to me for Christmas after I got married. It tells you all the terms, measurements & all other info in laymen terms. I would pick it up for sure. I still reference it every now and then.

I started trying to perfect the things I liked. Then I've branched out and broadend my culinary horizons.

I think the Cooks Illustrated magazines/cookbooks are the best resources. They give you the recipe and then tell you why it works and all the things they tried before coming up with perfect.

Back
Top Bottom