"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
Senior Cook
What good ideas those all are!
Veggies are your friend, I think.
I've lived alone all my adult life, and if I find a recipe that looks good, that serves, say, 4-6 people, I just do a quarter of it.
Also, I shop a lot at the Dollar Store. You can get those canned hams for $2 and poke it full of cloves, glaze it and bake it and slice up leftovers to use in a chef's salad the next day or fry up for next night's dinner, or use it in sandwiches. I'm on a budget, too, medically retired from the Navy, and that Dollar Store really comes in handy.
How limited is your freezer space? Mine is about the size of a shoebox and my fridge is tiny, just a small countertop one, so my space is limited as well.
Can you grow your own herbs and spices? I can grow most of mine. If you can grow veggies and herbs, that saves a ton of money. And I think Kim's cookbook will help a lot! Get it as soon as you can.
I don't know where you live or what the growing season is where you are, but if you have produce stands where you live, you can buy fresh veggies and fruit cheaper than in a grocery store.
But everyone else has better ideas than I do, so listen to them and I wish you good luck!
Also, one more thing: I found a 2-quart crockpot at Wal-Mart for about $10 a couple years ago, and I do like that! It's the perfect size for 2 people, and perfect for one!

Erinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #12
Senior Cook
Smile Cooking for one

Try a book like GOING SOLO IN THE KITCHEN (1995) by Jane Doerfer. This cookbook has over 350 recipes.

Personally I love left-overs so I make big pots of soups, stews, and casseroles. Yes, I only cook for little old me.

"When the kitchen smells spicy and wonderful, it can only mean one thing... it's not my kitchen."--- Maxine
Max Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #13
Executive Chef
Looks for recipes that have a "Master" ingredient. For instance: a basic marinara (no meat) could be used to make sausage and pepper sanwiches one night then penne another and fish stew another. Roasted chicken can be used as-is, then as a filling for tacos, in a cesar salad, or in a pasta. Steaks can be used as taco fillings, diced for chili, in a salad, etc.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #14
Sous Chef
I've lived alone for the past dozen or so years, now, and enjoy preparing good food for myself and occasional company. If I make something BIG, it will be something that can be used as an ingredient or else frozen and saved for later. Or eaten as leftovers within a few days. It is easier than it might seem to you. Don't let cooking for one cramp your style or deprive your palate.
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
My wife and I have little in common food wise. So even though I don't live alone, I usually cook for one, although last night she pilfered my corn chowder which put a dent in my meal plans.

I tend to go with the left overs plan. I will cook maybe two or three (depending on how much food is involved) meals, and then eat the left overs. My usual plan is cook Monday, cook Tuesday, leftovers the rest of the week, cooking again as needed.

Goannaman is offline   Reply With Quote