"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cooking for one - thoughts or ideas?

I hope this is where this goes...if not, please move it!

I recently moved into my own apartment (loooong story). Anyway, I'd rather cook for myself, if possible, rather than eating frozen meals and whatnot.

I've started making stuff that I can freeze or buying packages of meat and freezing those into 1-2 serving packages. But, I'm always looking for new ideas.

Thoughts?? Ideas??

Old 05-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Depending on your work schedule, your crock-pot could be your best friend. Make meals in it and freeze portions.

I experimented last June and made almost ALL our evening meals for the month using the crock-pot. Started out as a night or two and then became a challenge, largely because it's so hot here and our house isn't air-conditioned. Even had the crock-pot on a small table in the living room so as not to heat up the kitchen in any manner. Ya do whatcha gotta do.

It's just the two of us here, so cooking smaller meals is ever on my mind. I'm still trying to adjust from cooking for Buck, 5 children and myself. Still struggling, even though it's been years since any of the children have lived at home.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I've been vertually alone for some time and still cook as if I was pleasing many. That's why I still have to 2 refridge/freezers. I can't help it. I'm Italian.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

I try to just make things that I can scale down to fit me + a meal or two. But, I'm always looking for new recipes and ideas.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
I've been vertually alone for some time and still cook as if I was pleasing many. That's why I still have to 2 refridge/freezers. I can't help it. I'm Italian.
OK, I'm not Italian, but I have a healthy appetite anyway
Why do you think I'm cooking six brats right now

You got it right Jett.. freeze, proportion, cook for many realizing that you are the many
Old 05-28-2008, 09:56 AM   #6
Executive Chef

When I was single, and living by myself, I did a lot of soups/stews in the winter, and just reheated the leftovers. In summer, I did a lot of burgers, grilled chicken, etc., in my Foreman grill. The chicken I could use for fajitas, quesadillas. Sometimes I would make wrap sandwiches. I love a good Reuben, but getting enough thinly sliced corned beef for more than one or two sandwiches can be expensive.

If you like stir-fry, you can cook it quickly without heating the kitchen up to much, as the entire cook-time is only about 5 minutes or so. You can also do a lot of good saute dishes, like Steak Diane, Cajun BBQ'ed Shrimp, Chicken Marsala, etc. Pasta dishes that are completed in a saute pan, like Fettucini Alfredo, are also quick and easy, especially if you cook the whole box of pasta to al dente, drain and cool it, the store it in the fridge.

You also want to learn how to use leftovers. Don't be afraid to buy and cook a good-sized roast. Sure, eat off it for a couple of days. BUT, use the rest for things like Beef Quesdillas, Beef Tamales, Hash, quickie BBQ beef sandwiches, etc. Same thing can be said for Roast Pork, Chicken, or Turkey. Heck, if you don't want to use the meat right-then-and-there, you can package it up, with some of the pan juices, and freeze it for later.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
Senior Cook

You can cook a large batch of rice or pasta, portion it off into those Zip-loc bags, and put them in the freezer. Likewise small containers of marinara sauce, etc. They're quick to thaw in the microwave and will come out just fine. There are only two of us, not big eaters, so I do this all the time. A supermarket rotisserie chicken is a good choice, we can get a couple of meals out of it--soup, salad, etc.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I find that when I cook for just me (which is rarely) I make too much, but not enough too much to freeze, so I end up eating it all.
I'm used to cooking for 5 or more, and the only time I would be cooking for myself is Sunday nights when DH is taking his nap before starting his week of overnights, and I want something the kids will definately not eat.
That used to be fish, but they are coming around, so I don't end up with dinner for one much at all. Good thing!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett View Post
I hope this is where this goes...if not, please move it!

I recently moved into my own apartment (loooong story). Anyway, I'd rather cook for myself, if possible, rather than eating frozen meals and whatnot.

I've started making stuff that I can freeze or buying packages of meat and freezing those into 1-2 serving packages. But, I'm always looking for new ideas.

Thoughts?? Ideas??
Welcome, Jett. Congrats on moving into your own apt. I usually cook for one, as well. Rather than scale a recipe or the size down, I cook the whole amount, i.e. a roast, whole chicken, meatballs, etc. The next day, or so, I turn it into another dish, i.e. pasta, salad or sandwiches. Would rather cook once, than twice - saves time. Personally, I would rather finish up the cooked food, rather than freeze & reheat. I prefer chicken breasts, so I buy a 10 lb bag, & take out what I need. Same with shrimp - buy a big bag & take out what I need. When I have time, I make a big batch of perogies or homemade pasta, freeze uncooked, then use amounts as needed.

During the summer, I don't usually eat big meals. Mostly fresh salad & fruit. I make up a big pasta salad & keep it in a Dutch Oven in the fridge. It will keep for a day or so. I snack on yogurt (add fresh fruit) - as it's just the right size.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #10
Head Chef

I've been cooking for one for a number of years now, many of them frustrated because all the cookbooks and recipes were for 6-8 servings and did not scale down that well. A year or so ago I dumped all such cookbooks that just gathered dust and started creating my own cookbook in a small looseleaf notebook and the help of the MasterCook software and I'm now a well-fed happy cook.

The main thing to remember is not to treat leftovers as "leftovers". They are new meals for another day. It's portioned out into individual servings and frozen for later unless I know I will eat some in the next day or two. Some things are portioned into divided microwave container plates so it can be reheated in the microwave like a TV dinner.

Yes, the crockpot is a daily friend. It's a good way to cook whole chickens without any hassle. And also for beans and soups.