"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-25-2007, 03:32 PM   #11
Cook

Bullwrinkle.com was a source of recipes for dog treats we used for our dog. He had food allergies and eventually succumbed to cancer late last summer but he really loved some of the treats we made for him.

We also had him on a diet that was given to me by a veterinarian a long time ago for another dog we had that was old and ailing. We used canned mixed vegetables, bran flakes and portions of small pieces of meats like the pickings from a turkey or chicken carcass. We usually added some form of broth or stock and our dogs did well. Max, my Daschund from my youth didn’t like peas and Einstein, our last dog (Beagle/Sheltie mix), didn’t like green beans.

My son’s fiancé has a cat and he loved the muffins we made so I guess some of these treats could be suitable for multiple species. One main ingredient in the most favorite treats is baby food. I would hope that Gerber’s is safe.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
I'm familiar with Nutro's food, Breezy. I was in our local PetSmart last week and there was a similar Nutro announcement taped to the shelves where their food was stocked. They seem to be diligent about notifying pet owners who would be concerned about commercial foods. However, I will say the stuff is a bit on the pricey side. A 4-pound bag of dog food was $10.
Science Diet dry is even more expensive than Nutro unless you have a coupon, and it has given all my kitties gas! There is nothing worse than having a cat jump up in your lap, snuggle in comfortably, start to purr, then break wind!

Old 04-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
There is nothing worse than having a cat jump up in your lap, snuggle in comfortably, start to purr, then break wind!
Oh, yes, Caine! I know exactly of what you speak. I firmly believe that our nice, little Chessie Lou does it on purpose when she's pi**ed off at us. She can take paint off the wall. We love her anyway.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Mirandgl, thats a great idea on the canned or Im thinking frozen vegetables it saves the hassle and cost of fresh and they still get more nutrition than in regular dog food.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:24 PM   #15
Head Chef

I am taking my dog food budget off the dog food isle. Nope no rice, veggies, or sirloin for my pups & kitties!!! NO Sir!!! I'm taking them through the drive-thru at McDonalds!!!!! I'm doing a recall of all my Washington's ($1) and Lincoln's ($5). There will be no further investing into a market that is fully vested!!! I refuse to line the pockets or grease the palm for this ill fated plaque!

We have already ate at Long John Silvers on several occasions but the Alaskan flounder is not as plentiful as it was during Lint. But I am sure that we will find some chicken liver pate at home to every one's likening.

There are many things that dogs & cats should not eat And one of them is definitely pet food!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
I am taking my dog food budget off the dog food isle. Nope no rice, veggies, or sirloin for my pups & kitties!!! NO Sir!!! I'm taking them through the drive-thru at McDonalds!!!!! I'm doing a recall of all my Washington's ($1) and Lincoln's ($5). There will be no further investing into a market that is fully vested!!! I refuse to line the pockets or grease the palm for this ill fated plaque!

We have already ate at Long John Silvers on several occasions but the Alaskan flounder is not as plentiful as it was during Lint. But I am sure that we will find some chicken liver pate at home to every one's likening.

There are many things that dogs & cats should not eat And one of them is definitely pet food!!!
I admit I DO feed out ourside kitties commercial food, but they also get lots of other goodies. As an example, today I cooked up a huge batch of homemade beef stock, which had a base of carrots, celery, onions, etc. Once I strained the stock, I mashed the vegetables and added the veggies to their supper, along with some of the skimmed fat. I do this regularly and they'll eat just about any vegetable I put in front of them.

They also get all our meat/poultry trimmings and fat, which I cook up in a broth for them. When I drain canned vegetables, the juice/water is put on their food. When I make mashed potatoes, the potato cooking water is saved for them and on and on and on. What Buck and I don't eat, they do. As a result, they have the healthiest, shiniest coats and are happy little babies.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:17 PM   #17
Master Chef

No offense StirBlue - but can you translate your post somewhat?

I think I understand your anti-pet-food point, but completely lost you at the "no rice, veggies, or sirloin", as well as the Long John Silvers comment. And what is "Lint"?

You completely lost me in this rambling.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:48 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Actually, Breezy, I think "Lint" means "Lent" with the reference to seafood. Just my guess. Perhaps StirBlue types with an accent.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:45 PM   #19
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Science Diet dry is even more expensive than Nutro unless you have a coupon, and it has given all my kitties gas! There is nothing worse than having a cat jump up in your lap, snuggle in comfortably, start to purr, then break wind!

I have seen the futures...and it is kitten powered cars.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:39 AM   #20
Head Chef

Just to stick up for commercial pet foods, a lot of science and work goes into the better brands, they are that price nt just because of ingrediants but the research behind them. In uSA you have a tinned food called Natures VAriety, that for a while I was trying to import uintil it became farcical in time and money for two cats. It is vital, literally vital, that our pets' food is balance for micro nutriants. If you haven't the time to research and mix up vats of things to account for the correct vitamin/mineral content I think in the long term (out side of this hoohah) a good quality, preferably not dried, comercial pet food is the best bet.