Cooking frozen lasagna in stages?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vicky Stevens

Assistant Cook
I have to feed the marching band before the game and am planning on giving them frozen lasagna. I can use the ovens at the school to cook it but can only get access to them 1 hour before the lasagna needs to be ready. The lasagna takes 115 minutes to cook. I'm cooking for 140 kids, so I can't just start it at home and then finish it at school.

Should I cook it for a hour at home, let it cool, and then plan on cooking it for another hour at school? Suggestions?

Thanks!;)

you run the risk of bacteria formation during the cooling period and no guarantee of getting the product hot enough at serving time to kill it off. Cooking it entirely at home and warming it up at the school would be safer, although even that has its risks, many fewer.

Cook them completely at home just before the dinner. Take them to the school and keep them hot in the oven before service. Take them out and let them rest for 30 minutes before serving.

115 minutes?

Why?

Are you cooking from frozen? If so thaw them first.

Have you ever done this sort of thing before? Is that 1 hour you have for cook time or is that 1 hour for cook and serve?

This is only a guess because I don't know what your set up is there. I would say you should allow 15 to 30 minutes for service. Even if you have preplated self service, 140 kids will take a good 20 min to get their food and get seated. Plus your slicing and plating time...Say you get 10 serves each, that's 14 @ say 3 minutes to slice and plate each = 40 minutes!

The only thing I can suggest would be to change to somthing else. Something that can be cooked quicker and served easier and quicker. Cornish pastie come to mind. Or maybe sandwich platters...There's a go...sandwich platters. You can prep the day before (if needed) assemble the sangas on the day. For service you just need a table or two. The kids can stand to eat.

If you really want or must stay with the lasagna, then I can only suggest that you need to work out the logistics...not just the cooking time.

I hope that is of help:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom