"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
Since my wife will NOT eat beef, I share my experience with chicken and pork: frozen -vs- not frozen. I have found over-and-over that ensuring my chicken or pork is completely thawed prior to cooking gives a much better result, in terms of both tenderness and texture. This goes for frying, grilling, or baking. I can't speak to beef which the article does but I would doubt the validity of that also.
The official line over here that chicken should always be thoroughly thawed before cooking because of the possibility of food poisoning. Pork can be a bit nasty if not cooked properly so common sense would say it should be thawed before cooking. And you're right, most meat is better thawed before cooking as the texture is better.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I did not watch as tomorrow we will hear another so called "expert" tell us its not good to cook a frozen steak.

I thaw out meat before cooking. Well before cooking. And in many cases I am marinating or applying a rub. This will not work with frozen meat.

For those having issues with getting a good sear when making rare steak, you need to look at three things.
Is your grill preheated and as hot as possible?
Are you turning the steak more than once?
Is your steak to thin? A thin steak can take as little as 1 minute before it needs to be turned and another minute before you must remove it from the heat.

Lastly, how far away from the flame is the steak? How high is the grate from the fire? If you can get your steak closer to the heat, it will sear faster.

I have zero issues with searing. But the steaks we get are thick.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I saw this frozen steak thing on another forum. It just doesn't float my boat. Has anyone tried the reverse sear method for grilling steaks? Think I will try it next time I slap some rib-eyes on the Weber. Hardwood lump only!
Old 08-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I saw this frozen steak thing on another forum. It just doesn't float my boat. Has anyone tried the reverse sear method for grilling steaks? Think I will try it next time I slap some rib-eyes on the Weber. Hardwood lump only!
I'm not sold on the reverse sear method. It seems illogical, or at least counter-intuitive to me.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
The official line over here that chicken should always be thoroughly thawed before cooking because of the possibility of food poisoning. Pork can be a bit nasty if not cooked properly so common sense would say it should be thawed before cooking. And you're right, most meat is better thawed before cooking as the texture is better.

You can't get food poisoning from frozen chicken. But you can get it from undercooked chicken. Frozen or thawed, it needs to be cooked to 160-165 to be safe.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm not sold on the reverse sear method. It seems illogical, or at least counter-intuitive to me.
I'm not sold on it either, but I'll give it a whirl to see how the steaks turn out. I'm gonna use a 15 F difference instead of 10 F before searing it, to account for carry over cooking.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I'm not sold on it either, but I'll give it a whirl to see how the steaks turn out. I'm gonna use a 15 F difference instead of 10 F before searing it, to account for carry over cooking.

I look at it this way: If you sear first, then finish cooking, you have the luxury of getting a great browning of the surface followed by continued cooking to get to your desired level of doneness.

If you cook for doneness first (allowing for searing) then go to searing, there is a risk you miscalculate and over cook to get a proper sear or under sear to maintain proper level of doneness.

If you sear first, all you have to worry about is doneness. If you cook first then you have to worry about doneness and sear.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Pork can be a bit nasty if not cooked properly so common sense would say it should be thawed before cooking.
That is an old wives tale. Believe me I know, I am an expert on old wives tails. There hasn't been a case of trichinosis in this country for over 50 years. Pork is perfectly safe when cooked to medium rare.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Things are different today, I hear every mother say, cooking fresh food for a husband's just a drag. So she buys an instant cake and she burns her frozen steak, and goes running for the shelter of a mother's little helper, and it helps her on her way, gets her through her busy day
Old 08-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Things are different today, I hear every mother say, cooking fresh food for a husband's just a drag. So she buys an instant cake and she burns her frozen steak, and goes running for the shelter of a mother's little helper, and it helps her on her way, gets her through her busy day

And to think, that song is nearly 50 years old.

Tags
cook, cooking, frozen, meat