"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Cooking Frozen Meat

Y'all know how it goes. You start searching the 'Net for one thing, next thing you know you are finding all manner of interesting stuff.
Submitted for your consideration:
Never Thaw Frozen Steaks

Not sure I agree completely with this, but I did find it interesting.
What do y'all think?

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

does anyone really use that much oil when pan frying a steak? it looked like he was shallow frying chicken, not a steak.

and that "grey" band seems negligible to me.

the only thing that caught my attention was that he said that the frozen steaks lose less in the cooking process.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I agree, BT.
I certainly don't use that much oil, but I can understand the theory as explained by the guy in the video.
I am also wondering how frozen steaks would fare on the grill.
My thinking is that it would likely not return good results.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #4
Master Chef

I am from the thaw them first camp.

I will cook them if they are still a bit frosty, not frozen. I always wipe them with a paper towel to blot any surface moisture so they don't begin to "stew" when the hit the pan.

"`a chacun son goût" said the old lady as she kissed the cow!
Old 08-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Is water lose an issue? Dry aged steaks loose a lot of water and taste great. Seems to me loosing some water during cooking might not be an issue.

I wonder how a rare steak would fair. Or, trying to get one to well done *shudder*.

This seems like someone inventing something so they have it to "report".
Old 08-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I am from the thaw them first camp.

I will cook them if they are still a bit frosty, not frozen. I always wipe them with a paper towel to blot any surface moisture so they don't begin to "stew" when the hit the pan.

"`a chacun son goût" said the old lady as she kissed the cow!
Me too. And I never fry steaks. I use the grill/broiler. I thought the fry first, cook in the oven idea was a bit weird, never mind using so much oil..

When he was talking about cooking times it occurred to me to wonder if he was being paid by the power company Part of the point of steaks is that they cook quickly and you don't need to fire up the oven. I like mine rare so the thawed ones wouldn't over cook anyway.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
Master Chef

I'd never fry a steak in oil, although I've used a screaming hot dry iron skillet at times.

This makes sense to me when using the grill however, and I've done it with "partially" thawed (not solid) steaks. We like our steaks very rare and with the amount of time on the grill, it's hard to get a nice sear if it's not partially frozen.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Since my wife will NOT eat beef, I share my experience with chicken and pork: frozen -vs- not frozen. I have found over-and-over that ensuring my chicken or pork is completely thawed prior to cooking gives a much better result, in terms of both tenderness and texture. This goes for frying, grilling, or baking. I can't speak to beef which the article does but I would doubt the validity of that also.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Many years ago, I read that you could cook a steak from frozen. It sounded like a time saver and an easier way to get a steak to be rare with a nice sear.

I don't remember exactly why, but I wasn't fond of the result. I suppose it would be different if the steak were frozen as in the video. I think the 1/8 inch of oil is probably essential. I seem to remember the steak browning very unevenly because of it's lumpiness. The freezing flat would help with that.

I see no good reason one shouldn't freeze the steaks that way, even if the steaks won't be cooked from frozen. Less moisture on the surface sounds good to me.

I'll probably give it a try. It won't be very useful for Stirling's well done steak.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
This makes sense to me when using the grill however, and I've done it with "partially" thawed (not solid) steaks. We like our steaks very rare and with the amount of time on the grill, it's hard to get a nice sear if it's not partially frozen.
That's very interesting and something I am gonna try. I was under the impression (and I ain't really sure where I got that impression) that unless the steak was at room temp., the steaks would be tough.
I most certainly will try your method, as Mrs Hoot and I prefer rare steaks.

Tags
cook, cooking, frozen, meat