"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-17-2005, 07:21 AM   #11
Head Chef
Living in northern MN, we don't have a real long growing season but we end up with alot of veggies. We plant tomatoes, cuks, pappers, cabbage, beets,sweet corn, carrots,onions, and a variety of squash. We have several rhubarb plants and can alot of jam and freeze for pies. Last summer we had a frost in aug. and so the vining plants got hit hard. I do alot of canning and freezing and so very busy in the fall. All the veggies are great to have in the winter and nice to just go to the basement to get veggies.We are also getting alot of seed catalogs but we arn't using them anymore as we have better luck just buying from our feed store. I usually buy and plant about 20 tomato plants to make sure I get plenty tomatos to can.We usually have alot of critter to keep out of the garden area also and that can be a challenge as well. We sure did find out that deer eat just about anything.We will start some plants in the house this spring and that way they get a good start. Love the garden and so much enjoyment watching things grow. We don't have much luck with herbs but will try a few again this year again.Happy gardening all. :D

thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:43 AM   #12
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Claire
Zerah, one of the great things about growing in the south is the fall garden, so don't forget it. I don't know how far south you live (there's a difference between winter in northern as opposed to southern AL), but in the south you can plant onion sets, brocolli, brussels sprouts, etc and get a second crop out of your garden. Lots of herbs will survive through a mild winter as well (NOT BASIL. It dies before the temps hit the freezing mark. But sage, thyme, and many others can handle winter)
I'm in Tallassee, about 30 minutes East and a tad bit North of Montgomery. =) I know that our zip code falls into Zone 8 and I think that we fall into the "deep South" category as well.

Thanks for the tip about the 2nd crop! I've read about being able to do stuff like that but have never put it into practice.

Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:37 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Chili peppers in the garden for me this year :twisted:
Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:50 AM   #14
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by norgeskog
Originally Posted by wasabi woman
one of my favorite things in my garden is my rhubarb plant.
it is a perennial, that needs virtually no care - I get a spring and a fall crop.
rhubarb jam, rhubarb cake, strawberry-rhubarb pie and my favorite -
stewed rhubarb over vanilla ice cream!

I can hardly wait for spring!
My cousin in Norway made mean batches of rhubarb wine in her basement, questionable name as it was 90 proof. But it was wonderful. Too bad she is now in Vallhallah or I could get the recipe.
thought you might like this page - loads of rhubarb wine recipes - maybe you can come close to your cousins!

Good Luck!
wasabi woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:12 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
when i visited ireland, i was able to find the house my grandfather built. i ended up being invited to the house for tea, and the owner graciously offered me a tour. in the backyard, in a little patch near a tributary to the shannon, grew some beautiful rhubarb. to my surprise. the owner told me that he was told the original owner (my grandfather) planted it, and it has come back every year since. i thought that was so cool. i'm gonna have to find a way to smuggle some to jersey.

i get 2 growing seasons, sometimes a short third one here in jersey. i kinda use the "square foot gardening" method. i plant rows of spring veggies in late march/early april, wide enough apart so that i can put the summer veggies in between a month or so later. this way, the spring stuff comes to fruition just as the summer stuff is overtaking it. the tomatoes even provide a little shade so the lettuces next to it don't bolt as quickly.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote